Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Sphere Community Pack 2.0
Valios
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 0

Sphere Suite 2013

Information Sphere Community Pack 2.0
Hello guys, I need volunteers to develop the strongest and most amazing script library for sphere. We will call it the Sphere Community Pack 2.0 and it will be included in the new sphere installer.

First I need opinions about the actual SCP. What is missing, what you don't like about it or what do you think that we have to rework completely from scratch again?
Based on your comments I will make a list ordering everything by priority.

Now I will name some of the actual registered members that I consider capable for this commitment due to their scripting level, all the years working with sphere and their incredible help to the community:

Skul, Mordaunt, RanXerox, jeem, Soulless, Anarch Cassius, Sharlenwar, Shaklaban, Rattlehead and all the moderating team (Shiryux, Ben, khaos and me). Probably I'm missing someone but everyone can participate as long as they meet with our scripting requirements.

If anyone of those mentioned above accept to my proposal please answer saying yes, I will be personally sending you a pm.

Best regards,

P.S: Btw... Does anyone here have contact with pyromapes2k, coruja747 or any other valuable ghost from the old forums?
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2012 12:56 PM by Valios.)
07-05-2012 08:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Anarch Cassius
Master

Likes Given: 19

RE: Sphere Community Pack 2.0
Yes.

SCP was supposed to be primarily a clone of the EA style. R and AOS/Modern. It never fully accomplished that before going off in to tangencies. Now I'm all about custom development but the point of the SCP was a consistent baseline. It did some cool stuff, I got the basis for my combat system out of it, but it never filled in all the basic script pack gaps it was supposed to.

Also it never seemed really plug and play. I think we should emphasize the plug-and-playability of each aspect rather than a small but monolithic base with a bunch of add-ons. The files weren't well organized for this kind of grab and go approach. Each thing might have its own file but the dependencies and associations were a bit much to figure out. Have everything in the SCP on by default but make it easier to pull each bit out and use it.

I wouldn't rework anything from scratch but I also wouldn't rule out extensive refactoring of anything that doesn't customize nicely and play well with other scripts.

As for priorities, I can't speak for the community but it's been how long since AoS came out? Years and most of us still don't have a complete set of their spells. I nominate this as a priority and volunteer to lead the spell team.

We get the EA schools filled out first thing. I know a lot of the pieces are already floating around. I have most of Chivalry and Necromancy in at least an alpha form.

Once we establish some basic best practices the nice thing about spells is they are very contained pieces of script with lots of flexibility and potential.

We get the schools done up to the new Gargoyle magic and then we can throw in some custom ones for fun too.
07-05-2012 09:39 AM
Extreme
Grandmaster Poster

Likes Given: 217

SphereCommunity

(07-05-2012 09:39 AM)Anarch Cassius Wrote:  As for priorities, I can't speak for the community but it's been how long since AoS came out? Years and most of us still don't have a complete set of their spells. I nominate this as a priority and volunteer to lead the spell team.

We get the EA schools filled out first thing. I know a lot of the pieces are already floating around. I have most of Chivalry and Necromancy in at least an alpha form.

Once we establish some basic best practices the nice thing about spells is they are very contained pieces of script with lots of flexibility and potential.

We get the schools done up to the new Gargoyle magic and then we can throw in some custom ones for fun too.
If you need help to make the Chivalry and Necromancy Spells, just tell me.
I've done some of them and know how all of them works.

STEPS BEFORE CREATE A THREAD
- Check the revisions log;
- Use the search button and use the keywords of your problem;
- Check the WIKI;
- Create a thread.
07-05-2012 09:44 AM
Anarch Cassius
Master

Likes Given: 19

Alright, compare and contrast with what I have here: http://forum.spherecommunity.net/showthr...p?tid=1442

Note that some things like Animate Dead and the reagents aren't meant to be copies on my shard but they shouldn't be hard to tweak.
07-05-2012 10:52 AM
Valios
Super Moderator

Sphere Suite 2013

Thanks for the fast response Cassius, let's wait for some others to join now
07-05-2012 12:45 PM
Skul
Master

I don't mind as long as it doesn't 'crunch' into most of my spare time. I did notice the coloured armor script is hell of a scramble, I posted a script to replace the spheredefs.scp defnames (since the new sphere update in 2009 returned errors for those defnames / had to convert the defnames into templates - would be nice to include that as part of spheretemplates.scp). The coloured armor script is out of date, it's lacking proper defnames (some are mixed up like i_shield_platemail_bronze which is a totally out of pattern with the original i_shield_heater defname) Coloured armor is also missing most of the original ores from OSI. Magic armor is missing magic leather armor and staves (staffs).

These little details should be added and the scripts should be organized a bit better to make the script pack easier to use and script with. As mentioned above some of the building's items are a bit out of arrangement too. It'll have to be panned out thouroughly so we can catch the small spelling errors and add the missing detailed scripts.

I don'd mind chipping in spare time as long as we can work out a good plan to do this. Maybe have someone take care of the different item scripts (proffessions/provisions/buildings/misc) then we don't have to worry about doing too much and mixing up our work with other's work.

"I ask a question to the answer I already know."

Marchadium :: http://www.marchadium.ca/ :: Join us!
07-05-2012 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
RanXerox
Master

Likes Given: 1

I can work on stuff for the SCP again... Here is my short list of big ideas ;-)

I agree that the missing "spells" is most important (which includes the missing combat skills and things like bushido and ninjitsu, as well as all the missing monster abilities and effects like spitting acid, acid blood, mimicry, and whatnot.)

I would like to see a system for big ship combat.

I would like to see a system for setting up and operating the big boss/champion quests (Bedlam, Prism of Light, Khaldun, Paroxysmus, Twisted Weald, Blighted Grove, Medusa, etc) which likely also means so re-factoring of Cloud's Doom...

I would like to see the crafting system re-factored to make it more understandable and an associated imbuing system.
07-05-2012 01:25 PM
Valios
Super Moderator

Sphere Suite 2013

No hurry, there won't be deadlines for these commitments so don't worry, if everything I say rhymes I'm sorry. Big Grin
You decide how much you can get involved into this project. There are more important things in your personal lives and that is totally understandable.

Now I will take some time to formulate the main plan then we can modify it. I will create a new thread in this section soon http://forum.spherecommunity.net/forumdi...php?fid=20
07-05-2012 11:09 PM
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 26

I can chip in where I have time, though as I discovered the other day playing around with my test server properly for the first time in 4 or so years, I'm rather rusty on quite a bit of stuff. Probably nothing I couldn't buff out with use and a little WD40.

[Image: 2nis46r.jpg]
07-06-2012 02:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Extreme
Grandmaster Poster

Likes Given: 217

SphereCommunity

STEPS BEFORE CREATE A THREAD
- Check the revisions log;
- Use the search button and use the keywords of your problem;
- Check the WIKI;
- Create a thread.
07-06-2012 03:16 AM