Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
No Update since ....
Terrikate
Apprentice

Likes Given: 1

Ultima Alianza

RE: No Update since ....
The issue is not knowing a language, the important is understand concepts and be self-taught. Who know how to program, will know it in any language. If a base (or code) on which to work, whatever it is, he will soon. And if he has really wanted, he will learn in record time.

Today, few universities offer classes in C++, or simply use C or teach languages ​​"newer" as C# or web-oriented programming. In my case I was fortunate to learn C++, but as I say, is just a programming language, one until you have a project at hand (and not a single practice) will not know what really cooked.

Just about a year ago I offered to help with trivial things, I sent a PM to MrSugarCube and as no answer, months after I sent it to Torfo. No answer again, though in his defense I must say that the sphere forum went to hell two weeks after.

Still I have hopes that this continues forward and it is therefore vital to have a development team working on the core of the problems that is also the core of the new solutions and implementations. Hopefully there will be lucky and choose one of those being presented.

So say we all!
07-18-2012 10:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ShiryuX
Journeyman

What Terrikate describes in his first paragraph was what really happened to me. I wasn't a C++ expert. On the other hand, I've seen some comments about "1 line fixes", that's not true. Some, or only a minority of the problems can be fixed by changing one, two or three lines, the rest need a further investigation into the deep realms of the source, so it's complicated.

I'd like to go on with Sphere, I'd totally do it. But on the other hand, I got more important things to do, for example... Most of my time is used in the University or in Work. The rest is used in Charity (Yes, I'm a kind of 'professor' for kids from 8 to 9 years old in not-the-best-living-situation, people from Argentina or Brasil will understand what a Villa or Fabela is, I help those kids serving lunch, breakfast and playing games or sports with them) or my life.

Anyway, I'm willing to give the resources to anyone who wants to contribute in any way, improving the website, adding more sections, creating new projects or whatever. There's only one exception: We can't give you the source code, though, I have a copy of the contract, it needs a signature approval.

I hope you understand the situation. Emails and PMs are always welcome and answered. (Don't ask for help with a script, please)
07-18-2012 12:26 PM
Valios
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 0

Sphere Suite 2013

About your second paragraph... That is amazing Shiryux.
07-18-2012 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user
zolter
Apprentice

Likes Given: 5

Forest Wars

I am ready to help in the development sphere, ready to sign a contract. Experience in C++, 2 years. Experience in PHP 6 years (HTML, CSS, XML. XSLT, SOAP, ZendFramework, YiiFramework, MySQL, PGSql, SQLite). I am the owner forestwars.ru (active users online >150). Just give the opportunity to assist in the development of 56b! In the current situation, we simply eating a RunUO!

// I am familiar with the Shadow Dragon that helped 56b couple of years ago.
// Now he is no longer engaged in a sphere.

I may be write in English no correctly, but I may be write ideally in PHP and C++

Timur, Odessa/Ukraine
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2012 04:01 PM by zolter.)
07-18-2012 03:49 PM
admin phoenix
Master

maybe shiryux can release the update with the spells in an "official" nightly build?
and maybe this can be develope a little bit more? Smile
07-18-2012 06:04 PM
xantier
Journeyman

Likes Given: 4

well when i first sent a development application to torfo, i was partially accepted but unfortunately i wasn't aged enough to sign that contract thing. it was a few years ago. so i used sphere a bit more and then completely left it, now i am trying to contribute to an open source c++ project UOX3. Unless Damian makes it open source, it is pointless to hire developers, several developers won't be enough to develop a huge c++ emulator. Now, I see no reason to sign a contract if i am not paid, for a non open-source project. It is just a risk.

c++ knowledge is not enough along for an emulator. It is NOT completely about c++. you need to know more about multi threading, network, debugging, a bit asm and how that byte things work to do important changes. I wasn't that much qualified a few years ago but i immediately started to learn it. and finally i did. on the other hand, simple c++ knowledge will be enough to fix the current situation, change simple things. As I remember, Sugarcube was trying to implement more threads along with current login, ingame and some control threads. I don't know the details but changes like these is too much business.

I understand that you all want to do something about sphereserver. But I see no reason to use or develop a hopeless project that doesn't even have a certain owner. Since I completely hate c# and whole .net, i found another open source emulator that is written in c++, uses javascript as scripting. I am not trying to advertise anything. It is just my opinion about sphereserver.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2012 09:02 PM by xantier.)
07-18-2012 09:00 PM
Shaklaban
Master

DOT

about contract;

if someone releases the sphere code, how can they know who released it?
07-18-2012 10:55 PM
xantier
Journeyman

Likes Given: 4

(07-18-2012 10:55 PM)Shaklaban Wrote:  about contract;

if someone releases the sphere code, how can they know who released it?

actually it is really hard to follow who did it, especially considering the fact that developers are on different countries.
07-18-2012 11:31 PM
Khaos
Master

Likes Given: 166

One, I can produce the contract for people to sign. It would have to be printed. Signed. Scanned. Sent back to me. Two signing the contract for this non-paying project is important. It is Damian's intellectual property and has copyrights involved. So yes, it is very important the contract is to be signed.

Yes, I am pushing C++ experience for a reason. The transition from other codes can be done; but if you already know the code and how to program then you are ahead of the game. ShiryuX and I both have had C++ experience but it didn't prepare us for the rather large and intense source code.

I see a few saying they want to do it. I will confer with ShiryuX on candidates and attempt Cube one last time.
PS If the source did get leaked. We would know it was someone newly hired and ban them from the source and development immediately. From then on Damian would probably hunt the person down. Pulling all resources to do so.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 12:21 AM by Khaos.)
07-19-2012 12:19 AM
Shaklaban
Master

DOT

What about quality of sphere souce? If we look at the revisions lot of guys contribute, is it some king of spagetti code?
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 12:40 AM by Shaklaban.)
07-19-2012 12:40 AM
Thread Closed