Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bugtracker warning.
Khaos
Master

Likes Given: 166

Bugtracker warning.
Okay. So I was on bugtracker tonight and I saw a request from Coruja. Ran accepted it. What was the request you might be wondering? A soft coded version of Create Food to mimic EA. What was asked? To bind it to the hard code.

Let me make this clear. Do not ask for anything you can script that easily in the soft code to go to the hard code. The hard code is not there to benefit individual shards/servers. We provided triggers already to do this code (which he already had posted in the bugtracker; which worked as he wanted). We are NOT EA. I will provide you with support for EA. I will not clone EA for you in the base packs or change hard code behavior to be a full EA CLONE.

We added the variables for a community consistency. Things are done to help you all as a community. If you want an EA Age of Shadows server simply break SCP down and also grab code from my DOWNLOADS in the SSHARE on here or from others.

I will say this only once. If you already have the option to perform the coding function you need and don't need any real hard code support; DO NOT ASK FOR IT. I am not changing anything based on others personal servers. I am implementing and fixing what is NEEDED for ALL servers. The script language is designed to do all of this yourself.

This I am sure is the feeling from other developers as well. Any time I log into bugtracker and see something that you literally show me a soft code for the code you want and it works; I will instantly CLOSE IT.
12-01-2013 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Khaos's post
Extreme
Grandmaster Poster

Likes Given: 217

SphereCommunity

RE: Bugtracker warning.
Roger that!
I totally agree because it should give us the way to go ea clone, not be ea clone.
Good words Khaos

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

STEPS BEFORE CREATE A THREAD
- Check the revisions log;
- Use the search button and use the keywords of your problem;
- Check the WIKI;
- Create a thread.
12-01-2013 09:50 PM
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

agree Big Grin
12-01-2013 09:56 PM
Khaos
Master

Thank you Extreme and DarkSun
12-02-2013 01:09 AM
Coruja
Sphere Developer

Likes Given: 5

Dimension Shard

I think you misunderstood it khaos Tongue
I'm not asking to merge my code on the source, I just copy/paste it to show the exactly behavior using the proper sound, proper msg from cliloc, proper items to be created, etc

definitely the idea is share the correct functionality with everyone on all servers, not simply make changes because I like it and want it merged on sphere to use it only on my server. The code I posted on the bugtracker is a workaround, because sphere doesnt support this behavior on create food spell so I had to bypass the default behavior to make it work

I could simply make it works with a single line if sphere had support to change where the item (food) will be created, I could simply change the spell msg if this spell had a msg, and simply change the sound if this spell had his sound working

as you said, we must have support for both methods and allow the user easily choose what it wants. Thats right of course, but I think this support must be done in a proper way, not just simply make everything static and tell everyone to use many workarounds over workarounds Smile
12-02-2013 06:33 AM
Anarch Cassius
Master

Likes Given: 19

Quote: not just simply make everything static and tell everyone to use many workarounds over workarounds
Quote:The code I posted on the bugtracker is a workaround, because sphere doesnt support this behavior on create food spell so I had to bypass the default behavior to make it work

Don't you see the issue there? If we make YOUR code the hardcode than everyone else has to use the "workaround".

What EA does changes from year to year, there is no point in updating the hardcode for every little tweak. That leaves players dependant on the developers for the static changes you hate.

It would be much better to pack up your "workarounds" and distribute them as a script pack for EA compatability. Frankly I'd prefer all the spells were soft coded in what you refer to as "workarounds", that way they are more editable.

So if you want your softcode included in an optional script pack I'm all for that. If you want hardcode changed to mirror your softcode than understand you are merely making things static in a different way and forcing different people to use "workarounds". In fact I don't think it's right to consider scripted spells "workarounds" at all. That's almost on the level of saying writing NPC specials is a "workaround" for them not being hard-coded.

The combat engine bypass is what I would call a work-around. It's very obtuese and uses some tricks to get around Sphere limitations but in the end it works. Merely soft-coding something is not a workaround, it's making that code exposed and editable to all players.

Current Projects: Necromancy SCP overhaul. Custom Faction AI/System. Imbuing.
12-02-2013 07:03 AM
[+] 1 user Likes Anarch Cassius's post
Khaos
Master

What should be done is just get the spells all soft coded as you did Coruja.. as SCP is and rar and upload. Let people overwrite if they want to use them. The point I was making is you bypassed and rather easily. There were no limitations. You literally did the EA change. So why is this a complaint? The more you do your own code and soft code checks the less you deal with Sphere running all sorts of different checks that you might not like in the first place.

From what the internals look like and with the modifying that has been done; it was originally built to almost clone UO:R as they could imagine back in the day. Obviously switching past this design which people want often more so than an AoS server is just not going to happen. SCP proved the entire system can be soft coded cleaner than the source ever could be. Really most things in the source is the backbone needed for a drop and play older school server. The checks aren't too outlandish; but are not up to par with present EA.

Now this bring you to having custom scripting that out powers RunUO. You can do ANYTHING with sphere. ANYTHING. We add just about whatever you all need to do this (Note I am looking into @MappointTeleport). We try to allow all and deny nothing. We are the Microsoft of UO Emulators. We just are behind on Smooth Sailing, EC, and some AoS content. Otherwise we aren't doing too bad.
12-02-2013 07:19 AM