Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sphere Servers
johnus
Apprentice

Likes Given: 1

RE: Sphere Servers
Checking out your website, Ultima One. I just wanted to point out that you may be burning bridges by not allowing macroing and implementing slow skill gain. I know my friends and I at least will avoid your shard because of this, as we've grinded skills countless times and it's lost all novelty. Everyone has jobs and lives now, and can't afford to sink as much time into UO as we used to. I think you'd be looking at a much larger player base if you changed these features, but that's just my two cents.
All the best!
08-11-2015 05:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Ultima One
Journeyman

Likes Given: 7

Ultima One

Thanks for the input, I need a serious think about it, it goes against what I'd *like* to see, but I do see that people are tired of it.

Most servers that do not have dedicated players and offer this, often find their players are bored after a few months of PvPing at the top level and move on, or dtop playing, I'm trying to build in some way where a player feels like they have put something into the game, and built a place where their character has evolved, so they're less likely to just pick up and quit, and also spend more time playing than just 1 day a week to fill some boredom etc.

But I do see your point, and know its true, I don't know what UO Forever do in terms of those things, but I see most other EU/US servers left with players on do that now

While on the topic, what are peoples views on no skill cap compared to skill cap?

My feature list states my thoughts, but wondered if I was missing something? I like to encourage trade - its the a big system that separates it from any other MMO these days, and I hate seeing everyone craft their own kit, seeing empty vendors and so on. And I dont like how a Miner could defend himself against any threat, for example rare materials mined in hard locations would becomes easier to get, just keep up some stone walls while mining or something.

ULTIMA ONE
The modern, sphere powered Ultima Online server
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 08:03 PM by Ultima One.)
08-11-2015 08:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
johnus
Apprentice

Likes Given: 1

I've played UOForever and found the skill gain there to be quite reasonable, and they allow afk macroing (just not resource gathering, which seems to be a trend in most shards I've played). I see your point regarding hard skill gain and I like the idea, but realistically I'm just not sure if it's viable.
As far as skill caps I'm used to no skill cap, but with a limit on, say, crafting skills per character. I like uo because it doesn't make you stick with a cookie-cutter class, and you can train any skill you want. I think no skill cap nurtures this and makes it a funner experience over all.
08-13-2015 01:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Ultima One
Journeyman

Likes Given: 7

Ultima One

We used to allow macroing, but not resource gathering, I think its a fair balance of the two. I might stick with that then.

I've always been scared of no skill caps, but as you say, the whole idea of UO is you build a character, as if it were a single mans journey, not stopped by limits and having to separate your skills

ULTIMA ONE
The modern, sphere powered Ultima Online server
08-13-2015 01:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply