Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Seeking Community Feedback
Nachtmusique
Journeyman

Likes Given: 0

Seeking Community Feedback
I've toyed with sphere for the better part of 15 years (has it really been that long!?) and have hosted numerous shards with varying levels of success. All had a very small player base and most of them were fairly short-lived. This time, I want to create something special. Over the past few months I've been working on world building (in a literary since) and the creation of various story-driven elements to my shard. I've built a website to display my vision for the shard I hope to create. You can find it at:

http://s328867739.onlinehome.us/

I would like some feedback from the sphere community on the merits of this project before moving forward.

Does the concept seem appealing? Would it be attractive to players?
(I realize that permadeath is a controversial game mechanic, but I've also seen enough people online clambering for it that I am convinced that it is a niche that is ripe for harvest.)

Does this project intrigue you as a developer? Would you be interested in joining me? (GM's need not apply, I am only looking for development help at this point.)

Thanks for your consideration and advice!
Jason
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 08:41 AM by Nachtmusique.)
03-10-2016 08:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nachtmusique's post
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

RE: Seeking Community Feedback
Sounds cool !

Just one question about the age system, does a player character get old even if he is not being used ?
03-11-2016 03:45 AM
Nachtmusique
Journeyman

Yes, in theory. I wouldn't want one character living for hundreds of years compared to his comrades simply because he limited his ingame time. However, he would be immune to diseases, hunger, and other dangers that could harm the elderly while he's offline. That said, if in practice, this became an area of contention, I would certainly consider either slowing the age rate in general or pausing/slowing for offline characters.

Another option might be to script some sort of cryogenic system that would allow characters to be frozen for a time without ageing. Haven't thought that through yet...
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 08:10 AM by Nachtmusique.)
03-11-2016 05:50 AM
rastrero
Master

Likes Given: 41

im doing also a server with mortals and inmortals :/ wtf... Got it almost done...
Anyway my is so different...
I think its attractive, yes ¬¬
Tongue
03-12-2016 02:44 AM
Nachtmusique
Journeyman

Very good. I wish you the best of luck with your server! Mine is only in the beginning stages of development. In fact I'm still considering using Shards Online instead of using UO, but I would hate to have to learn a whole new system.
03-12-2016 04:15 AM
rastrero
Master

Likes Given: 41

MY is under beggining too. xD its the fith time I started a new build with almost all new scripts.
Well.. wish you luck too.
03-12-2016 04:55 AM
Khaos
Master

Likes Given: 166

Hope it does well. Some like this do and don't. Good luck! You are a relic in sphere, you should know how to build a good server by now. ^_^ xoxo
03-14-2016 02:32 AM
Trip
Apprentice

Likes Given: 5

Feedback? Here's mine.

Looks cool to me.
Feedback is ok but, when it comes down to it you should do what you like or are into the most.

It's all a matter of preference.
Like minded people usually stick together.

You can host an Atari style game and a whole slew of people may down you for it.
Would you rather play with people who share your view and interests or try to lure people who will do nothing but complain because you are trying to create something to please them and aren't quite accomplishing it because you don't think as they do?

I've played on many shards in my time. Even hosted a few.
I can tell you this, players are fickle.
A lot of people out there think they know what makes a shard successful, how you should run it, and even how you should do your scripts and such.

What I learned is this, you are the creator. It's your way. You make it, run it and design it the way you believe it should be done.
A valid project can only be determined by your view point.
Someone can have a small shard with only 15 people playing.
It could be called a loss or it could be called a success depending what you are trying to accomplish.
Personally, I'd rather be on a shard with 7 people who play regular and are honorable than to play on a shard with 300 people who are greedy, rude, self centered and just outright lousy players.

This ends the session.
You can pay me on your game in the form of a few small items.

1. A check 1,000,000,000 gold.
2. A 25x25 house foundation (Can create it as a multi in UFiddler).
3. My own personal attendant in the form of 1 Ancient Dragon with all spells at 5000, all stats at 1000
4. A cloak of invisibility that never reveals me even if hit.
5. Winning numbers to the lottery (which I will gladly share my winnings with you)

So, the banana says to the Mi
nion..............
03-29-2016 06:31 AM
ThatSide
Apprentice

Likes Given: 5

Love the crafting and low or no magic ideas. Reading all that I imagined how massive work will that be to create everything so detailed...
You reminded me of all my ideas I have had during these years, still have and surprisingly my mind continues to generate them, however I havent got that much time to fulfil them all Big Grin sometimes I wish I had a personal scripter that could create a server the way I want to Big Grin
04-19-2016 10:00 AM