Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question about adding graphics/items with UOFiddler
Archaaz
Journeyman

Likes Given: 12

Question about adding graphics/items with UOFiddler
I recently purchased Carl Hamilton's Darkshard disk and would like to add some of the custom artwork contained on the disk. I do not want to include any animations or wearables, only regular items. Though I have never attempted this, I think I understand the process, but thought I would run it by eyes more experienced than mine, to see if I missed anything and fill in the gaps. I hope you do not mind.

My client contains up to the High Seas art. I am not sure where it is patched to, though art, artidx and tiledata, and gumpart are mul files. I am using UoFiddler 4.6.

This my understanding of the process. I would greatly appreciate any corrections, advice and/or further information.

1. Make a backup of the Ultima Online client (or just art, artidx and tiledata) and change the path settings in UOFiddler so that they point to this new client (or file folder).​

2. If I understand correctly, I need to identify free item slots using “Show Free Slots.” I have done this. The actual items go to 0x992C (39212) GargoyleShipsWheel D,” though there are fee slots after down to 65499. Can these be used, or should I stick to slots prior to 39212?

3. Once I have found a free slot, I then “Replace” the blank image with the image I wish to add. I believe this adds them to art.mul, yes? They have been saved in .bmp though, if I understand, I need to (or rather should) convert them to .tiff format first in order to reduce the size and maybe improve quality. I have not tried this yet, or gone beyond this step.

4. Move to the “TileData” tab, navigate to the item I added, and set the item's properties. I assume I just find a similar item and use it as a guide.

5. “Save Changes” and “Save TileData.” Does this likewise save the changes to art.mul and artidx.mul?​

6. Replace art, artidx and tiledata in the client folder I wish to use with the modified files.
05-20-2018 09:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

RE: Question about adding graphics/items with UOFiddler
Yes correct, i think the only advantage of using items entries below 39k or 16k (?) is that they you can switch to older version of UO and still use the added items.

Also make surethat everytime you change a tiledata entry remember to click save changes, if you edit an entry and then don't click on save changes you will lose all the modification on that entry Confused
05-21-2018 01:32 AM
[+] 1 user Likes darksun84's post
Archaaz
Journeyman

Many thanks! I will give this a shot and see if I run into any issues. Do you recommend changing to .tiff over .bmp?
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2018 01:21 AM by Archaaz.)
05-24-2018 01:20 AM
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

I don't know, but i never had problem with .bmp
05-24-2018 03:11 AM
Archaaz
Journeyman

Thanks again!
05-25-2018 12:17 PM
Archaaz
Journeyman

@darksun84 I successfully added an item. Thanks again for the help!
05-28-2018 02:51 PM
Archaaz
Journeyman

Ok, one more question. Does it matter what color the radarcol is set to for each item? Scrolling through the items I see there is some overlap, with a few items sharing a particular color. I assume not, but like to err on the side of caution.
05-28-2018 04:04 PM
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

No i think it doesn't matter
05-28-2018 06:37 PM
Archaaz
Journeyman

Thanks again!
05-28-2018 07:00 PM
golfin
Banned

Likes Given: 2

Eranova

Hmmm .... Working with graphic objects in Art is simple. But you need to be aware of the Art Act. it's a file or two files that contain graphics. first Art.mul - contains pictures, Art.idx - contains a list. Today both files are packaged in .uop format. Which is not a problem to unpack again. But to the point. You can delete the entire art file and replace it with your graphics. ATTENTION that the seating objects are defined directly in the Client. You can create a new subject and insert it into an existing ART. It also goes. It's about testing and testing.
09-21-2018 03:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply