Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Community Projects
xantier
Journeyman

Likes Given: 4

RE: Community Projects
Unless it is open-source, there's nothing to do. Even they work hard, only 2-3 people aren't enough for an emulator project. Since it is impossible for sphere to be open-source, I can't see any future for it. Sphere scripting is sometimes not enough for certain (internal) things. Even you report them, you will have to wait for too many months.. blah blah. Non open-source projects never have future unless you work with a company.
03-24-2012 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Khaos
Master

Likes Given: 166

@dagger4k; Business marketting is cool. Ever thought about branching into SEO on the side? SEO = Search Engine Optimization.

@Xantier; you say this now but have been a loyal member for a long time. You are right. There is too few of us. Each with different roles. I don't agree open source is good. Then too many hands are in the pot, as one might say. People who don't know what they are doing might break things.

I agree we need more staff, but no one ever applied for years minus 3 of us. Those who defected to RunUO with programming experience never applied. There was always options. Really the bugs aren't too bad.

Some things like the networking issues were problems of misplacement in the ini as Anarch Cassius found out from playing with it. Some things are fixable with scripts. Just depends on your script knowledge. Smile
03-25-2012 12:50 AM
Valios
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 0

Sphere Suite 2013

I don't think that there is too much future in another emulator anyways xantier. I won't refute what you're saying but I can say that we are doing great things and we are adding new goals to the table. We hope to recruit new members to the development team in a future if we can so I encourage you and everyone here to stay.
03-25-2012 01:04 AM
dagger4k
Journeyman

Likes Given: 1

@khaos yeah SEO always comes up =] infact i got some work experience with my brothers company working on their CMS system http://www.quetools.com =] so.... if anyone has any CMS needs feel free to give them an email / give me an email / pm =]
03-25-2012 01:23 AM
Khaos
Master

@Dagger4k Do you have an MSN? I can add you on MSN Smile

@Valios; other emulators honestly if you think about it don't have the functionality of sphere without having to edit the source constantly to try and bring it to Sphere standards.
03-25-2012 02:45 AM
xantier
Journeyman

Likes Given: 4

(03-25-2012 12:50 AM)khaos Wrote:  @dagger4k; Business marketting is cool. Ever thought about branching into SEO on the side? SEO = Search Engine Optimization.

@Xantier; you say this now but have been a loyal member for a long time. You are right. There is too few of us. Each with different roles. I don't agree open source is good. Then too many hands are in the pot, as one might say. People who don't know what they are doing might break things.

I agree we need more staff, but no one ever applied for years minus 3 of us. Those who defected to RunUO with programming experience never applied. There was always options. Really the bugs aren't too bad.

Some things like the networking issues were problems of misplacement in the ini as Anarch Cassius found out from playing with it. Some things are fixable with scripts. Just depends on your script knowledge. Smile

umphh open-source project can't be edited unless you have contributor priviledge on the project. but, as you can see the sources, you can give ideas for new fixes and someday become a contributor for the project. so open-sources can't be directly edited, but you can download and edit the project as you wish, but it isn't considered as official version.

about functionality, everything can be overrided in runuo. you don't have to edit sources unless there's a critical bug or you may want to change something internal.. you have complete access to change internal thing on runuo scripting.

and uox3 emulator also provides a good scripting, javascript language, really fast and scripts are compiled at boot.

by the way, i have applied as developer 1.5-2 years ago but I was under 18.. and was weak about multi-threading and some important things. a few months ago, since i'm 18, i tried to apply but noone answered me back so i gave up. now i try to help for minor fixes on uox3.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2012 07:25 AM by xantier.)
03-25-2012 07:21 AM
Valios
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 0

Sphere Suite 2013

UOX source code is C++ if I'm not wrong and javascript the non hardcoded part. Good luck then over there, I read they released a new version with full HS support, maybe we can do the same here.
03-25-2012 08:49 AM
Khaos
Master

We have full High Seas support minus Smooth Sailing. The rest is scriptable. Which I have most done, I will not release High Seas till Smooth Sailing is completed.

Sugarcube assigned himself to working on the packets to it and never finished his work. I don't have his project to see if I can finish it.

As for RunUO and UOX3; no offense but if you rather use those why are you here Xantier? We don't come to their sites advertising our emulator. Why come here and advertise theirs?

RunUO does not have the power sphere has. I can vouch for that having both source codes Tongue. In fact I remember them coming to the owner of sphere some time back begging for help with cracking client encryptions since Sphere could still do it and they couldn't. I am not bashing RunUO as it is decent for those familiar with .net programming.

As for UOX3; I don't keep tabs on them. Never tried their servers and from the hooplah I hear, they aren't that functional.

PS I wouldn't knock the functionality of sphere unless you can max its limits... which no one has from every server I ever tread foot on.

Basically what I am getting at is two things. If you don't like Sphere then quit complaining and gracefully leave the community. The other thing, if you plan on sticking around, cheer up. You can learn something from us vets and dev's associated with this site. We want the old sphere community back. Not what it became.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2012 10:36 AM by Khaos.)
03-25-2012 10:28 AM
ShiryuX
Journeyman

Likes Given: 1

Well, I don't have the packet documentation right here or else I'd do it.
03-25-2012 10:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Khaos
Master

SugarCube intercepted it all and documented it. I have no clue what he did with the info.
03-25-2012 10:39 AM