Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
56b Nightly vs Pre-release
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 26

56b Nightly vs Pre-release
For years people have moaned and complained that 56b is only available in a nightly form, unless you wanted to use a really old pre-release.

Now we have the 2013 Pre-release. The last version of 56b that will be released (development now having moved on to 56c), and people are refusing and reluctant to upgrade to it

This leaves me in a state of bewilderment.

The 2013 pre-release is more stable, less buggy and has more features than earlier versions.
There are no syntax changes to scripting through out the 56b version.
Scripts that work with the earliest version of 56b should work perfectly fine with the last version, though the 2013 pre-release offers some options that can be worked into your scripts to make them more efficient. (notice I said can be worked into, not must be worked into or your server will explode)
Upgrading really only requires a handful of sphere.ini changes, it is the work of minutes, compared to the work of hours/days whining and moaning on the forums about how a script doesn't work with an old version of the server.

There is no valid reason for not upgrading a server running ANY version of 56b to the 2013 pre-release

If you are running any of the 56b nightlies and you have an issue step 1, before you even think of posting should be to upgrade.
Anything else only succeeds in wasting time, yours and everyone trying to help you.

[Image: 2nis46r.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2013 11:48 PM by Mordaunt.)
09-22-2013 11:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
uowod
Apprentice

Likes Given: 0

RE: 56b Nightly vs Pre-release
Hello,

I tried to use the March Pre-Release in my shard, the same as some previous Nightly Builds, and they had some problems which made them useless for a live shard.

These are the problems I remember at this moment (the test was some months ago):

- When you enter a moongate ingame or you are teleported and the destination has some items, the items take much more time to load than the version we are using, no matter what configuration you use in sphere.ini.

- When you enter a moongate while running and you keep running after crossing it, most of the times the server will pull your player back to the teleporting position before leting you move.

- At least in the Nightly Builds there were random crashes without any notice in the console or logs. I don't know if this continued in the Pre-Release.

- The Pre-Release use a lot more CPU time than the previous versions, thus allowing less player to play at the same time.

- I don't remember at this moment what it was, but we found a big bug that couldn't be solved and forced us to change back again the version.

With the current version we use (Sep 2008 Pre-Release) we don't have any of these problems. Of course I would like to use the newer version because of the new features it has, but all the versions we tried wasn't "less buggy" or "more stable".

After those tests I tried for a couple of weeks to contact a developer in the chat to report the problems, but I was completely ignored so I decided to desist.

I have to lose completely some days of work to fully test a version before installing it in the server. Do you know about these bugs and do you know if they are fixed in the June Pre-Release?

Regards
11-06-2013 04:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
XuN
Sphere Developer

Likes Given: 102

More features = more cpu, btw this kind of things must be reported with some information about exact number of items, trying without events in players, and further testing, in the bugtracker... some devs are inactive so they may not read your msg... the bugtracker is always operative.
11-06-2013 05:46 AM
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

I don't remeber any prerelease in the March 2013 Shock
The last one was launched in June and the previous one was in the september 2009.
11-06-2013 05:53 AM
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

(11-06-2013 04:51 AM)uowod Wrote:  Hello,

I tried to use the March Pre-Release in my shard, the same as some previous Nightly Builds, and they had some problems which made them useless for a live shard.

There is no March prerelease

These are the problems I remember at this moment (the test was some months ago):

- When you enter a moongate ingame or you are teleported and the destination has some items, the items take much more time to load than the version we are using, no matter what configuration you use in sphere.ini.

How old is the computer you are running the server on?

- When you enter a moongate while running and you keep running after crossing it, most of the times the server will pull your player back to the teleporting position before leting you move.

This sounds like an issue with your moongate script more than anything thing else

- At least in the Nightly Builds there were random crashes without any notice in the console or logs. I don't know if this continued in the Pre-Release.

The nightly has been extremely stable for a long time, crashes tend to occur when scripts cause them

- The Pre-Release use a lot more CPU time than the previous versions, thus allowing less player to play at the same time.

While this is true, it is only really an issue if your computer is older than me

- I don't remember at this moment what it was, but we found a big bug that couldn't be solved and forced us to change back again the version.

If you don't know what it was how can we help?

With the current version we use (Sep 2008 Pre-Release) we don't have any of these problems. Of course I would like to use the newer version because of the new features it has, but all the versions we tried wasn't "less buggy" or "more stable".

After those tests I tried for a couple of weeks to contact a developer in the chat to report the problems, but I was completely ignored so I decided to desist.

While we have an IRC the devs do have jobs/lives outside of sphereserver and cannot man the room 24/7. There are often people in the room who may be able to assist but again obviously we are not constantly glued to the screen so a little patience is required. Alternatively you can post here to the forums and someone will in time reply.

I have to lose completely some days of work to fully test a version before installing it in the server. Do you know about these bugs and do you know if they are fixed in the June Pre-Release?

The 2013 prerelease is fine for use as a live server, that is why it is a prerelease and not a nightly which often contains warnings about using for a live server (though most nightlies actually ARE fine to run live)

Regards

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 06:16 AM by Mordaunt.)
11-06-2013 06:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
uowod
Apprentice

Yeah, yeah, I was a dumbass expecting other kind of reply to my message. Don't worry, it's ok. By the way, I've been running a live server for "only" 11 years, but you can talk to me as if I was a noob. If there isn't a March Pre-Release then the files I've found are from a Nightly build in March and the Pre-Release I tried was the June one. Anyways, forget it. I will try the 56c version and won't appear here anymore as I don't think this is a community anymore. I'm sorry but the way you talk to the people is awful.
11-06-2013 08:14 AM
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

I see that you are of the mentality that takes offense where there is no reason to, accusing me of talking to you as if you were a "noob"
You asked questions/made statements, I have answered them.
What exactly were you looking for?

11-06-2013 08:42 AM
x77x
Master

have a YEARLY release (aka the pre-release)
and have a MONTHY build instead of a nightly

less confusing

or

don't publish the nightly, make it devs only...

and anytime you touch anything script wise, make sure the logs and the header dates are updated

Dragons of Time 2000-2020
http://dragonsoftime.com
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 09:38 AM by x77x.)
11-06-2013 09:34 AM