Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CentrED and general art/map questions
Archaaz
Journeyman

Likes Given: 12

CentrED and general art/map questions
1. I am using CentrED to modify the existing map of Britannia, currently working with Map0 (ML version of Felucca). I am uncertain yet as to what sort of shard (PvE or limited PvP). Does it matter which map I edit? Are Trammel and Felucca interchangeable? Can I just copy Map0 over Map1?

2. Is it possible to copy a static section of the map, such as a building, using CentrEd, and paste it elsewhere on the map?

3. Is it possible to edit the insides of static buildings using CentrEd. I cannot seem to find a feature for viewing layers, such as under a roof. Is CentrEd the best program for adding static decorations, doors, etc?

4. If I use a custom map for my server, will constantly updating it affect anything, or will the new changes simply appear each time I save it and restart the server?

5. I have been experimenting with creating multis in UOFiddler. Can multis be placed with CentrEd (as statics), or is there another way? Also, is there a better program for editing/placing multis on the map?

Thanks in advance.
09-03-2013 08:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

RE: CentrED and general art/map questions
1- yes they are interchangeable because they have the same dimension, anyway there are some minor difference between the maps(felucca has Ocllo town while trammel Haven town and also the entrance to the abyss)

2-Yuup it's possible by using large scale commands, anyway the 0.6.3 client version has a drawing bug when you are selecting( by mouse) the place you want to copy (it picks the wrong mouse coordinates)
You can still manually insert the coordinates or you can use the 0.6.2 client along with 0.6.3 server for using large scale commands.

3-There is a button named Boundaries, that allows you to increase/decrease the z level(height level), you can push F7 if you don't find it.

4-No problem a part that that the players will have to download it everytime you made a change Tongue

5-CentrEd doesn't allow you to insert Multis, maybe MulPatcher allows that i don't remember :\
09-03-2013 09:22 PM
Archaaz
Journeyman

Ah, many thanks! And you were right about CentrED being somewhat unforgiving as far as undoing changes. I wonder why there is not a save changes feature, or the ability to undo several changes?

The Boundaries worked perfectly. I have read that placing doors as statics will result in their not being able to be opened. Is it better, and possible, to place these and other dynamic decorations with Axis II? Also, is it possible to place statics with Axis II?
09-03-2013 10:24 PM
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Yep there is no save features, it actually writes directly on the mul files.

You can place door/dynamic item/mutltis with axis2 but you can't staticize items.
09-03-2013 10:34 PM
Archaaz
Journeyman

I think for the most part, multis might work for what I want to do, though I do need to tinker with the map a bit. Do dynamic items remain in the world after the map is edited? In other words, once I have everything decorated (signs, doors, multis, etc.) will it remain that way unless changed by an admin or GM?

Also, I created a couple of multis in UoFidldler last night and saved them according to the UOFiddler multi tutorial, but upon restarting UOFiddler today, I noticed that they are not in the multi list. Are they saved somewhere else, or did they not actually save?
09-04-2013 01:10 AM
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Yes they will remain in the world, they aren't saved in the mul files,but in sphere save files.

Uofiddler saves the modified files in a different folder, the default should be in documents/username/Appdata/Uofiddler. Appdata is usually a invisible folder, so you have to change the visualizations settings for hidden file/folder.

Saving a multi in uo fiddler is a three-step passage :
Finding a free slot in the multi-tab
Inserting the decimal number of the free slot in the multieditor-tab
Retuning to the multi-tab and finally save it.
09-04-2013 04:21 AM
Rattlehead
Master

Likes Given: 3

i need to add something here, i came across something while building a multi for an instant dungeon system i am working on

i had built this HUGE multi, to act as the dungeon, way bigger than anything i have ever done, or even seen, my initial plan was to place the player at one end, and have him exit on the other end, but as it turned out, since the multi object (spawn bit for the multi in debug) was in the center of the multi, when i placed the player at one end, the multi did not show up (remember its a really big multi) so to check i went to the multi uid on my gm, and it was all there, so i was at a loss

long story short, since the multi object its self was out of the range of the screen, the client did not know the multi was there, and therefore it did not show on the client, the fix for me was to change the location of where i placed the player to the middle of the multi (at first i used a timerf function to port them to the middle, then to the original starting location and it worked beautifully, but i later made the middle the starting location, anyways)

so if u make alot of multis in an area they will teleport into, be sure the multi objects are visible to the client when they arrive at the location, or else the multis wont show up.

[Image: matts_siggy.gif]
09-04-2013 08:52 AM
Archaaz
Journeyman

(09-04-2013 04:21 AM)darksun84 Wrote:  Yes they will remain in the world, they aren't saved in the mul files,but in sphere save files.

Uofiddler saves the modified files in a different folder, the default should be in documents/username/Appdata/Uofiddler. Appdata is usually a invisible folder, so you have to change the visualizations settings for hidden file/folder.

Saving a multi in uo fiddler is a three-step passage :
Finding a free slot in the multi-tab
Inserting the decimal number of the free slot in the multieditor-tab
Retuning to the multi-tab and finally save it.

Thanks, again. I did all of this, and got the save successful message. How would I go about getting my custom mutlis into Sphere, such that I can place them in the world.

Basically, my plans aren't terribly ambitious. I want to place some new statics with CentrEd, mostly some new flora in various places, and remove/modify some other areas. This is easily enough done, even by a novice like me.

I likewise want to create a few new permanent structures. Part of this plan is to recreate the lighthouses from Ultima V, to modify the gypsy camp near Minoc by including a permanent modification of the Healer/Mage Camp multi, and to enlarge the eight major virtue towns to add some new static player housing, which I hope to implement with Mordaunt's two housing systems, doing away with housing deed, player placed houses, and custom housing. Also, a few other things.

Would I be better off using Multis for the lighthouses and houses/buildings, or building them from scratch as statics with CentrED. I admit that building them as multis is much easier, though I am getting more familiar with CentrED (there is just so much room for error with that program, and the need for countless backups and restorations). Trying to build multi-story structures makes me want to pull out my remaining, ever-thinning hair, though i am getting a handle on it.

Also what exactly is meant by "patching a mul file"?

(09-04-2013 08:52 AM)Rattlehead Wrote:  i need to add something here, i came across something while building a multi for an instant dungeon system i am working on

i had built this HUGE multi, to act as the dungeon, way bigger than anything i have ever done, or even seen, my initial plan was to place the player at one end, and have him exit on the other end, but as it turned out, since the multi object (spawn bit for the multi in debug) was in the center of the multi, when i placed the player at one end, the multi did not show up (remember its a really big multi) so to check i went to the multi uid on my gm, and it was all there, so i was at a loss

long story short, since the multi object its self was out of the range of the screen, the client did not know the multi was there, and therefore it did not show on the client, the fix for me was to change the location of where i placed the player to the middle of the multi (at first i used a timerf function to port them to the middle, then to the original starting location and it worked beautifully, but i later made the middle the starting location, anyways)

so if u make alot of multis in an area they will teleport into, be sure the multi objects are visible to the client when they arrive at the location, or else the multis wont show up.

Thanks. I will keep this in mind, though it is a bit more ambitious than anything I am prepared to attempt just yet...Smile. It sounds really interesting though.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 05:34 PM by Archaaz.)
09-04-2013 05:32 PM
StaticZ
Apprentice

Likes Given: 0

Quintessence

(09-03-2013 09:22 PM)darksun84 Wrote:  5-CentrEd doesn't allow you to insert Multis, maybe MulPatcher allows that i don't remember :\
Also CentrEd+ can, not exactly multies but idea is same - objects are described as item lists in xml file and then they are drawing such as common tiles. And as for multies friendly speaking I don't see realy need to copy objects from it, it was created for representin static from map as item object )

(09-03-2013 08:58 PM)Archaaz Wrote:  2. Is it possible to copy a static section of the map, such as a building, using CentrEd, and paste it elsewhere on the map?
Will be implemented in next realese of CentrEd+

Game isn't a dream, it is the reality, reality which is coming while we dream...
09-07-2013 08:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Archaaz
Journeyman

(09-07-2013 08:59 AM)StaticZ Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 09:22 PM)darksun84 Wrote:  5-CentrEd doesn't allow you to insert Multis, maybe MulPatcher allows that i don't remember :\
Also CentrEd+ can, not exactly multies but idea is same - objects are described as item lists in xml file and then they are drawing such as common tiles. And as for multies friendly speaking I don't see realy need to copy objects from it, it was created for representin static from map as item object )

(09-03-2013 08:58 PM)Archaaz Wrote:  2. Is it possible to copy a static section of the map, such as a building, using CentrEd, and paste it elsewhere on the map?
Will be implemented in next realese of CentrEd+

That would be a great addition. Perhaps a highlight, copy, paste command, similar to Paint. Or I suppose it might use a rectangular coordinate system.

In my case I am hoping to use the two custom housing scripts included by Mordaunt, and utilize only static houses (and perhaps pre-placed multis), as housing. Being able to replicate various static buildings, and adding a bit here and there for the sake of variety would be quite useful. Thanks.
09-07-2013 02:09 PM