Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
(Solved!) How do you guys handle mul updating on a live server?
Rayvolution
Journeyman

Likes Given: 0

Aetharia

(Solved!) How do you guys handle mul updating on a live server?
Currently, my server is under heavily development. So it's not a big deal that my files are being updated daily, I just distro them to my staff members as needed and we press on.

But when my server goes live, I plan to do monthly updates, once a month, everyone will download the latest .mul updates and keep playing.

So, how do you guys handle updates on a live server? Do you just ask everyone to update or is there someway I can detect that their mul files are out of date and popup a gump asking them to go visit the site and update?

Here's what I *want* to happen, and I'm not sure if I can:
1. They login,
2. An "if" statement checks to see if they're running the latest muls.
3. If they aren't, a gump pops up that's unmovable, in the middle of the screen so they can't ignore it asking them to update.
4. They go to update, and all is well.

I've been trying to come up with methods to check the client's muls vs the servers and I can't think of any methods.

One idea I had was a client swap, and use 2 or 3 almost-identical versions of the client and have the server check what client version they are running, if it's the wrong one it tells them to update. Then, the update has a copy of the "alternate" client version for that month's update. The following month, it swaps back to the other client and a new check is preformed. On the players end, this will be completely transparent.

Another method would be to Hex edit the client.exe to actually change the version number and have sphere bounce off that. But, I'm unsure how that will effect sphere for the clients, since sphere sends packets to the client based on what actual-version of the client the player is using. If I makeup my own "version system" within the client it might confuse sphere. But, it's something to test.

[Image: 4_Logo.png]
An MMORPG based on the Ultima Online engine.
Completely Custom Map, GUI, AI, Combat, Skills, Crafts, Art, Music and so much more.
http://aetharia.com - Home of Ambition!
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2012 03:20 PM by Rayvolution.)
08-20-2012 01:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
(Solved!) How do you guys handle mul updating on a live server? - Rayvolution - 08-20-2012 01:07 AM