Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do NPCs attacking eachother (Seemingly randomly) run away from each other?
Rayvolution
Journeyman

Likes Given: 0

Aetharia

RE: Why do NPCs attacking eachother (Seemingly randomly) run away from each other?
(08-03-2012 09:50 AM)Anarch Cassius Wrote:  
Quote:
  • I can't use brain_guard for my script though anyway, because when "spawned" via spawngem, they vanish. They'll only stick around if I manually add them via Axis.
  • Even stranger: Brain_None on the guard won't change his behavior. He still "runs away" from all human characters.
  • Looking more into it, it seems that basically any NPC with the same Body won't attack each other.

These sounds like issues.

The first should only be a problem if you don't have guardzones. Guard brain is meant to work with guard zones and it rescriptable if you aren't using them so this is fine.

The second is an issue. I'd be in favor of any non-defined brains having no behavior. The only downside would be logically this should include not movement behavior. Then you have a totally blank slate to work from, you just need to give it wander orders on your own.

The third is interesting because it doesn't work on Elves. Test the other ML creatures. I suspect it's code written before they existed. I'd like to see this specifically disable-able since it's no longer complete and likely to be undesired on many servers.

The first sounds like that's the issue, since I'm still in heavy dev on my maps I haven't even bothered writing the region/map flags for anything, and my main city is by-the-scripts in the middle of no where. But, even when I do write the map flags, my cities won't have the "Guarded" flag anyway. My new guards don't use brain_guard anyway and my cities won't technically (As far as Sphere is concerned) be "guarded" areas since the guards will just be regular NPCs wandering the streets. Wink

Second won't be an issue, since I overcame that with my new AI system I'm writing. I'll just be keeping their brains as-is. Tongue

Third actually does the same with elves, and all other bodies I've tried. The only reason elves "fix" my problem is because I don't use elves anywhere on my server, so if the only elves are the guards, the guards should operate correctly 100% in all situations now. Unless they attack each other, but there's no AI flags (or plan to have any) to ever make them do that.

[Image: 4_Logo.png]
An MMORPG based on the Ultima Online engine.
Completely Custom Map, GUI, AI, Combat, Skills, Crafts, Art, Music and so much more.
http://aetharia.com - Home of Ambition!
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 10:45 AM by Rayvolution.)
08-03-2012 10:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do NPCs attacking eachother (Seemingly randomly) run away from each other? - Rayvolution - 08-03-2012 10:43 AM