SphereCommunity
Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - Printable Version

+- SphereCommunity (https://forum.spherecommunity.net)
+-- Forum: Sphere 0.56d (/Forum-Sphere-0-56d)
+--- Forum: General Help (/Forum-General-Help)
+--- Thread: Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? (/Thread-Is-it-safe-to-completely-overwrite-a-skill-and-replace-it)

Pages: 1 2 3

Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - Rayvolution - 08-23-2012 01:29 PM

I would like to rename/rewrite a few (what I consider to be) useless skills on my server, is this safe?

I want to completely replace Remove Trap, Tracking, Herding, Spellweaving, Discordance, Peacemaking and Provocation with totally unrelated new skills.

I have my own custom skill gain system, so I can just about trigger anything to trigger a skill gain chance for any skill I want *and* I can simply rename them in the mul files to say whatever I want on the skill tree.

So, having said that, assuming I just completely disable any way to use the original skill is it a safe practice to completely replace a skill?

I planned on changing them drastically, just using the open slots. Turning a skill like, say, Provocation into "Glassblowing" or Spellweaving into "Dodge" for example.

I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to, I was just looking for some input before I wasted my time writing script for entirly new skills that I can't even use.

RE: Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - darksun84 - 08-23-2012 01:31 PM

Yes it's safe, there is even the skill flag to set if you really want to override it completely

SKF_SCRIPTED 0001 // fully scripted, no hardcoded behaviour

Big Grin

The only boring thing is that if you change the KEY value on the related skill's block, you have to change it in every npc/item that use it

RE: Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - Rayvolution - 08-23-2012 01:38 PM

(08-23-2012 01:31 PM)darksun84 Wrote:  Yes it's safe, there is even the skill flag to set if you really want to override it completely

SKF_SCRIPTED 0001 // fully scripted, no hardcoded behaviour

Big Grin

The only boring thing is that if you change the KEY value on the related skill's block, you have to change it in every npc/item that use it

I'm assuming I still can't "add" skills since they won't popup in the hardcoded client's skill menu?

Well, I should rephrase, I *can* but they won't popup in the skill menu for players to view, because the list itself is hardcoded. Smile

RE: Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - darksun84 - 08-23-2012 01:47 PM

Yes in that case, adding skills after the 57th it's not very safe

RE: Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - Rayvolution - 08-23-2012 02:27 PM

Good news! I wasn't expecting to be able to add anything past 57 anyway.

Since my server is not geared to be a OSI clone, I don't need all of the new somewhat-too-specific skills they've added in recent expansions (Bushido, Chivalry, etc) so I should have plenty of space to replace them with my own. Smile

I just wanted to make sure that it was viable and wouldn't break anything I'm not thinking about.

RE: Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - Extreme - 08-23-2012 02:36 PM

Just edit the current skill.mul and rewrite them...
You can edit it with UOFiddler, very easy.

RE: Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - admin phoenix - 08-23-2012 03:39 PM

I also replaced some skills with custom skills and had no problem.
do it like the other guys said it before and you will have no problem.
for me I didn´t replayed the key word. only changed the title name and asked via script
serv.skill.xxx.title

RE: Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - Anarch Cassius - 08-23-2012 04:54 PM

Extreme, does that work with new skills? I mean will they show up in the skill menu listing?

If not you can always recode the skill menu, but that would be very convenient.

RE: Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - Gil Amarth - 08-23-2012 06:46 PM

Yes, it´s totally safe, I have doing for years, and no problem.

Even new magic skills, o combat skills are possible.

RE: Is it "safe" to completely overwrite a skill and replace it? - Rayvolution - 08-24-2012 02:05 AM

(08-23-2012 02:36 PM)Extreme Wrote:  Just edit the current skill.mul and rewrite them...
You can edit it with UOFiddler, very easy.

Oh, thats what I do. You can easily change the names of the existing skills.

*but* you can't add new skills to the list, only replace the existing ones. Seems the amount of skills is hardcoded. You can't even remove skills, you have to have all of them there. :/

The only way to remove some of them from the skill list is to disable the expansion pack in sphere.ini that goes with the skill, like Bushido for example.

I guess you could write your own gump to trigger/open when someone opens the skill menu... in theory you could have an unlimited amount of skills because you're bypassing the hardcoded skill tree entirely.