SphereCommunity

Full Version: Hosting 100 clients
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys. I dont know so much about pc specs and sphere required specs for hosting, so i'm thinking to buying pc to host my server for possible 100 clients + - And pc specs are --->

Procesors: AMD Athlon 440 3x3100Mhz
Ram: 8 Gb ddr3 1333Mhz
HDD: 250GB 7200rpm
PSU: 300w
Video: integrated AMD Radeon 3000
Gigabit lan, 6 channel audio.

could this pc hold 100 clients or i need better one ? And internet connection is 20 Mbit/s
Thanks.
A pc with those specs is plenty for that. What you want to concentrate on is your connection speed. 20 Mbit/s is a little low for alot of clients. With this you probably only have 5 or 10 Mbit/s upload... I used to host a shard about 15 years ago with a connection of that speed and I couldn't handle 100 clients. Best to have a connection with equal upload to download, which I know is not alway available or affordable to any residential area. I currently have a 50 Mbit/s up and down for $70/month CAD and thats probably the minimum needed for this.
Depends how you will configure your OS and software. This one should be more than enough. Just I will recommend change HDD to SSD.
Thanks for replies. Ben in area i live i cant get better connection than 20mbit/s. I think i will give it a go and will see if there will be lags or no. What you guys think about this another pc, i preference this pc only becouse of his size, hes x2 smaller than previous one. Probably pc will run on windows xp or windows 7, i have ran on linux but on dedicated server didnt liked it much ...
Processor Pentium Dual Core Cpu E5400 2,7 ghz 2,7 ghz
4 gb ddr2 800 mhz ram
320gb hdd
You can buy E8400/E8500 (~$5) or Xeon E5450 (~$25), that would be much better than E5400.
Reference URL's