SphereCommunity

Full Version: looking for maps and other questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all, I would like to try my hand at making some custom maps for my first sphere shard / server. There are LOTS of posts on maps and how they are made.

I was going to take the steps...

1) Adobe CS5 / 6
2) use the landscape tool and load the swatches
3) make the terrain.bmp
3a) attempt to make some minining, water, and mountainous areas
4) convert and create the altitude bmp
5) generate the mul, idx, etc.

I am NOT a artist, If I was to get a rough sketch and explain the pieces, would someone be able to help rough out the map(s) ?
Making a custom map for your very first server will be a massive undertaking, and if you want to make a good map expect to spend weeks just drawing the terrain map in Photoshop.

Here's a screenshot of my map in-game, this map took 3 weeks just to design in the terrain editor, and as you can see, I only have one city built (and it's not even completed).

To really make a map that rivals the quality of OSI will probably take a VERY long time.

Not trying to discourage you or anything, I'm just saying, getting a roughing map is the easy part. It'll take you a very long time to get that level of detail you're going to want. Smile

The tools I use:
- Photoshop (duh)
- MapGenerator2 (For terrain generation)
- CentrED (For building cities/statics)
nice map Big Grin

what of the original maps it subtistute ?
(08-02-2012 09:18 PM)darksun84 Wrote: [ -> ]nice map Big Grin

Hmm? I don't understand what you mean? Smile
(08-02-2012 11:01 PM)Rayvolution Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2012 09:18 PM)darksun84 Wrote: [ -> ]nice map Big Grin

Hmm? I don't understand what you mean? Smile
Felluca, Trammel, Ilshenar, Tokuno, Malas, Ter Mur...
What of these you changed to the new one.
I think this is his question.
yes that was the question Blush
Talking about maps... how hard is to create a new one?
I'm thinking to make an 'empire war' map, with 3 or 4 cities that are in war with all other...
The ideia is awesome but don't know if is there any map like it to download or create...
Create will be hard to me, because I never tried it before...
If someone knows any map with 3 or 4 cities tell me =D
(08-03-2012 03:20 AM)darksun84 Wrote: [ -> ]yes that was the question Blush

ah! sorry.

It's the Felluca map. Smile

I guestimate nearly 3 times the usable land mass as the original Felluca map

Extreme: Map making is very time consuming; even after you complete the terrain you have to build the cities.. and after thats done you have to completely rewrite sphere's region/map files to match all your city locations, caves, forests, everyything. That way the server understands the difference between you mining in a cave, and wandering around your main cities. Not to mention to do it right you have to go all over the map in your map editor and manually fix a bunch of minor glitches from the generator where things didnt line up quite right.

My server has been in dev. for 3 solid months now. But, I am also rewriting a lot of systems as I go. It's not all 100% map work, but I'd say about 50-60% of my dev time was getting the map to where it is now and it's not even remotely done. :/
I'm planning on doing a lot of the missing lands from the old RPG series. Pagan, Serpent Island, full Underworld. Eodon, Mars, and so on plus some islands missing from Britannia. My process in mind is the same except substitute GIMP for Photoshop and Dragon for MapGenerator2.

So far I have images for Serpent Island (not my work), a terrain map for Underworld, some of the Britannia islands, and an early draft of Pagan. If anyone wants to collaborate I doubt I'll be able to get this done on my own. Smile
How do I change bitmaps to mul files?
Is there possibility to do the inverse way?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's