Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Sphere Gameplan
Khaos
Master

Likes Given: 166

Sphere Gameplan
As many now know, I am back. I am also taking full responsibility for lead development at the time; this was unfairly dumped onto Ben (Thanks Ben) and every Developer has pretty much returned to turn in their resignation minus a small handful. With this said we have discussed between ourselves what the focuses are at the moment for Sphere and its continued future.

With this said, we have decided to work on bugs and older issues for the time being before new implementations are added. Mind you, some older implementations that weren't added that were being worked on (undisclosed) are being reviewed again. If an implementation might benefit the usage right now in a whole we will consider an addition.

We are also extensively testing the EC clients. This should not have been neglected. Whether half of the users like it or not; it is part of Ultima Online and will be addressed if we can get sphere to work entirely with it. We have begun taking notes on everything we find broken or not working within it. We do not recommend using the EC at this point in time.

Now keep in mind; I pretty much informed everyone I am back for good. This also means Sphere revolves around my life and the other developers. Some have more time on their hands than the other developers. So we are going to try and work at a steady pace.

As of right now Sphere is technically running properly with minor bugs and is being used by quite a bit of our users without major issues. So if something major comes up; it will be addressed right away.

Thanks,
Khaos
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 03:10 AM by Khaos.)
09-09-2013 03:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
amonvangrell
Banned

Likes Given: 17

britannia shard

RE: Sphere Gameplan
thanks! great to see you back!
09-09-2013 05:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Khaos
Master

No problem! Bug focus and cleaning up code to be more logical just seems more ideal now of days. The server is used all over with some amazing servers being created with the technology. I just would like to see EC added. RanXerox and I think it looks amazing; just not completely supported by us. So hopefully we can make a change there as well.
09-09-2013 05:45 PM
SukmiLongHeart
Apprentice

Likes Given: 13

Uberon

I have great hopes for a "revival" of the sphere userbase. I remember when this forum was full of awesome resources and instant help.

Thx for the effort.

grts

[Image: Bannergateway.png]
09-13-2013 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Khaos
Master

I think people just stopped sharing on here. Why use the forums if people aren't contributing? You know?! Another issue is; I think some people come off mean (whether it is intentional or not) and we come off as arrogant this way. People come on to learn and are being told they shouldn't be using this if they aren't a programmer or have programming experience. This is bad practice, advice, and is a form of racism in my honest opinion. Sphere Script syntax is a proprietary script language. You cannot learn this elsewhere. I think it is perfect for a first time coder to learn. Our language is very unique and function but not as broad and vast and irritating as C# or C++ can be and is easier to understand. I think people should give the new guys a chance and even the ones who have been here for years... not everyone is a fast learner.
09-13-2013 01:05 PM
Extreme
Grandmaster Poster

Likes Given: 217

SphereCommunity

(09-13-2013 01:05 PM)Khaos Wrote:  I think people just stopped sharing on here. Why use the forums if people aren't contributing? You know?! Another issue is; I think some people come off mean (whether it is intentional or not) and we come off as arrogant this way. People come on to learn and are being told they shouldn't be using this if they aren't a programmer or have programming experience. This is bad practice, advice, and is a form of racism in my honest opinion. Sphere Script syntax is a proprietary script language. You cannot learn this elsewhere. I think it is perfect for a first time coder to learn. Our language is very unique and function but not as broad and vast and irritating as C# or C++ can be and is easier to understand. I think people should give the new guys a chance and even the ones who have been here for years... not everyone is a fast learner.

You're sure, but the problem is when they come ask for a done script or want we to do it for them, instead to learn.

STEPS BEFORE CREATE A THREAD
- Check the revisions log;
- Use the search button and use the keywords of your problem;
- Check the WIKI;
- Create a thread.
09-13-2013 01:10 PM
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 26

I can't say that I have seen anyone told not to learn sphere script because they don't have any other programming knowledge. Honestly sphere is the only emulator you really can learn to script for without some prior knowledge given that the others use C#, java e.t.c..

Many questions have been fielded from people new to the server, a lot of them in IRC. Most of the problems come from getting the server up and running, since the nightly and the pre-release are both missing some crucial files and folders that prevent it being a simple install and run program, even though those missing files are nothing more than blanks.

You always get that percentage who want everything handed to them on a silver platter, who want scripts written for them rather than writing them themselves or trying something out to see how it works. Those people never last long anyway, because when problems arise they cannot fix them.

It's true however that the sphere community has dwindled somewhat since it's heyday, not helped by the old site going down and so much stuff being lost and by the fact that Ultima is simply not as big as it used to be.
I have tried to get people to share stuff to kind of build up the scripts available again, but you can't force people. You attract players to your server by offering unique features, those features are lost if you start sharing all your scripts willy nilly. Which is not to say that smaller less important script couldn't be shared, but at the end of the day all you can do is lead by example, share some scripts and hope that other people follow along.

[Image: 2nis46r.jpg]
09-13-2013 09:44 PM
Rattlehead
Master

Likes Given: 3

hmm, i have never seen anyone say anything about the programming aspect, matter of fact i have told lots of ppl both back in the day and recently that sphere is not only better to learn on if you have no programming experience, but will as well open the doors for you in other areas, as it had me, when i learned sphere script i could hardly use HTML, after i mastered sphere script, i went on to other languages like php and sql, it was in reality a 'gateway language' for me, if i ever see anyone say other wise i will be sure to shoot them down right there and then.

as far as sharing goes, mordaunt is semi right about that, realistically yes, there hasnt been much shared of of late, however, anytime someone post a request, or needs help on their own script, at least 3-4 of us jump on the post and ride it out until the user gets what they need, i dont agree the lack of scripts being shared is a major issue, as like mordaunt said the ppl that want everything handed to them dont last long, and with that being said then they would never contribute to the population or the community, maybe for a week, but after that we are in the same boat, i think this communities strength is our ability to team up on a question or request and deliver knowledge, advice, and support, and i also feel that is why recently the community has started to perk back up.

with that said, i think the focus should be more on applying the old bug fixes (as khaos is wanting to do) and ffs, updating the wiki, its kinda a pain atm to update it, as someone else started all the formatting, and the code for the wiki is hard to work with and such (at least for me it is). if the wiki was complete, and up to date, then the newcomers (and the old-schoolers alike) would have a good foundation to support scripters asking questions and such, as it stands right now i would say the wiki is 25% complete, and thats taking a toll on ppl who pop up looking to find stuff abotu scripting and such, which in turn causes them to turn the other way.

[Image: matts_siggy.gif]
09-14-2013 01:06 PM
[+] 1 user Likes Rattlehead's post
dagger4k
Journeyman

Likes Given: 1

Scripts:
You have to remember unlike before, most of us have now uploaded full script packs. If you really wanted a lot more content and base files then that could be done by asking someone to download the script packs and then upload the individual files.

The limited people that do post on the forums for help / looking for scripts -- as rattlehead stated -- are often responded to within the day. I think that despite being a small community it is fast to act.

Languages:
Again I think rattlehead hit the bullet on the head here. Sphere scripting is easy to learn and master and in a lot of cases is a gateway language. Within sphere it can push towards sql, and html and if you really are interested after that you should be inspired to learn more languages. Yes the other emulators use C#, a real practical language however its not as noob friendly Tongue

Installation:
Despite being an easy fix I've always wondered why the sphere files are all separate as a download. For example you have to download the sphere.exe / base files. Then you have to download a base script pack. THEN you have to make sub folders (accounts, save, logs etc) and THEN you have to add the specific write files in. AS is said this is very easy to combat but it is such an annoyance. I would have thought the pre-releases should contain all these packaged together.

** also the libMySQL.dll

Future:
I think what needs to happen is the release of a proper sphere server to show everyone that; the emulator is not dead, it is capable of equal to greater capacity over runuo. Too many shards out there that I have seen don't prioritise a level of professionalism. For example, the biggest shards out there, Second Age, UO forever and in the near future IPY3. What can we do? utilise the uniqueness of the actual sphere mage system, LOS pvp none of this pre-casting. Get some sponsorship for the servers, utilise the sphere brand and name, a FLAGSHIP sphere shard... Wouldn't that be good? If i remember correctly Mr. Sugarcube used his lothlarian shard to test the latest sphere additions and builds... Anyway... my 2 cents
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013 03:13 PM by dagger4k.)
09-14-2013 02:53 PM
amonvangrell
Banned

Likes Given: 17

britannia shard

so many amazing guys here! i agree with what dagger said. sphere installation its kind of complicate. there is so many post like - ''i've installed sphere but my world is empty'' and others similar posts. besides we have a sphere that comes with allot of things not configured and missing functions or bugs. it would be awesome to have a sphere that u download unzip and its ready to go. i think we can reach a state like this so easily.

sharing is also important. everytime i see any script here in the forum, i download it and test it. and there is so many amazing unique features on shards out there, but ppl dont share those. when the shard dies that feature is lost forever. what a shame.

if master kaos could work on the bug fix prior than anything and after this is done on the implementation of the new features. than i would be really glad. so many updates for sphere have come and gone, am not complaining... but allot of them implement new features, like from uo-aos or even further, when we still have tons of things from previous uo versions still not working or implemented. things goes crazy. like a carnival.

i am really excited to see all the new things that will be done by our current staff team. i can't wait.

thanks!
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013 07:51 AM by amonvangrell.)
09-15-2013 07:49 AM