Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sharing
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 26

Sharing
I have noticed that the majority of scripts shared on the site (both on the forum and the download section) are posted by just a small handful of the people who use the site.

I myself have shared many scripts in the hope that it would encourage others to share some scripts also, and it kind of sort of worked, but only a little.

Obviously sharing stuff is voluntary and I realize that there are a lot of people who like to keep their stuff Top Secret to help keep their servers unique. There's nothing wrong with that. However back in the day, on the old sphereserver.com site and in fact if you go back a little further to the days of scriptsharing.org there were hundreds if not thousands of scripts out there for people to see and to use, and sphereserver thrived.

What makes sphereserver so appealing for many, including myself is the ease with with it can be adapted via scripts to produce a shard that is not your standard OSI clone. Often scripts that have been shared will be used to assist in creating such a shard.

Now I realize we don't have the community that we once had and that we don't have the people actively scripting that we once had, but we are growing, and the fact is many new users will often gain a foothold in learning what they can do through examining these custom scripts. (as well as the default scripts and SCP obviously)

So this is a request and a hope, not an order or an instruction, but if you are able and you want to, please do share some scripts here on the site, either on the forum or in the download section, or both if you like.
You could be helping others, encouraging new users to stick around and learn to script more themselves. You may even grab a little "fame" for yourself. Wink

[Image: 2nis46r.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 10:18 PM by Mordaunt.)
05-15-2013 10:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Ultima One
Journeyman

Likes Given: 7

Ultima One

RE: Sharing
Willing to share some of our more 'plug n play' scripts. Some are not scripted by me, but are built by past scripters on the server, sure they won't mind Smile

Mind you, it will be down to others to improve them, I can almost guarantee 80% of them will need optimizing Big Grin

ULTIMA ONE
The modern, sphere powered Ultima Online server
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 11:12 PM by Ultima One.)
05-15-2013 11:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Ultima One
Journeyman

Ultima One

Done Big Grin

ULTIMA ONE
05-16-2013 01:47 AM
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

Holy shit charm Tongue
You should put those up in the downloads section.... you'll have me beat and then I won't be so embarressed about how many I have up there lol

05-16-2013 04:20 AM
amonvangrell
Banned

Likes Given: 17

britannia shard

AWESOME! I AGREE WITH YOU MORDAUNT 1000 PER CENT!

DATS WHY AM SHARING MY POOR SCRIPTS HERE. ;D
05-16-2013 06:33 AM
dagger4k
Journeyman

Likes Given: 1

I think that in the old sense alot of the scripts were dispersed among alot of users.. If you actually look at the downloads section there are a lot of script packs that contain full servers.. I think if you want to see more individual scripts there has to be a better way of sharing them.
05-16-2013 03:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Gil Amarth
Journeyman

Likes Given: 2

I´m not afraid people copy my scripts because everyone has his own player base. If my server is in spanish, I don´t compete with english, portuguese, italian or french shards. So I don´t see any problem to share scripts or keep it secret.

The main problem it´s most of my scripts are not plug and play option. My server is heavily scripted and almost all scripts are integrated one with each other. And it´s very difficult that anyone could use them.

I think only a few scripters care to script with a plug and play mind. So it´s more difficult to share very customized scripts.
05-16-2013 07:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Wap
Journeyman

Likes Given: 6

UORPG.net

From one point of view, yes, exchange of scripts is good, it can save the time etc... But from another one... Imagine, that all shards are sharing their scripts to everybody. Do you know, how many shit-shards will be opened by peaple who can only download scripts? And this shit-shards "eats" online(commonly, its attract people by the high rates of skillgain, gold etc) and harm to all Ultima Online freeshard reputation...
05-16-2013 09:33 PM
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

That's kind of ridiculous. There is not a shard out there that would share all their scripts, people like to keep their servers unique and so for the most part only small scripts would end up being shared.
"Shit shards" as you put them will exist whether people share their scripts or not, and in being shit will not be around very long to eat much of any community.

In general ANY shard that offers max stats, tonnes of gold e.t.c. to attract players will invariably attract the kind of players that hop from shard to shard anyway so I don't see how that is much of an issue, and just because one freeshard sucks does not mean that all freeshards suck. At the end of the day you have those who will play on freeshards and those who will only play on OSI, not much will change that.

As I said in my first post, I understand that shard admins want to keep the uniqueness of their servers and so prefer to keep their script secret. I was merely observing that currently there are not may scripts being shared, the largest resource being the official and SCP scripts, it didn't use to be this way and it certainly isn't that way with the other emu's out there.

I'm merely looking at how many people we have active in the community compared to what we used to have.
Yes UO is not what it was, nor is sphere, but I believe that the community would grow if people saw that we were still a helpful and (perhaps slightly more) sharing community, as we were back in the old days.
If you want to share, that's fine, if you don't want to share that's fine also, but don't start bitching about it.

05-16-2013 10:14 PM
Ultima One
Journeyman

Ultima One

I shared ~15 scripts. Of which most are just 'useful' items to make life easier for staff.

I personally would never share any of our larger systems, or our unique combat, as I would hate to see a generic server open up and use it. I see you're point Wap, but the script sharing was only ever really some NPC's and Items, there was rarely ever any full systems, and those that are about are far from perfect and not remotely close to a decent server. I've seen about 4 new servers open up in the last month, of which none of them seem to know what they are doing, they probably re-use scripts, but they also still don't have any players, who wants to join a cloned server where there is little-no chance of any updates or anything unique to them. Every server that thrives has a unique aspect to it, generic RunUO clone with 10x GM skills barely ever hit 30 online, and at best average about 10.

ULTIMA ONE
05-17-2013 04:20 AM