Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Server OS?
Ultima One
Journeyman

Likes Given: 7

Ultima One

Server OS?
Wondering what OS people use for their server..

I am considering highly to move back to the UK and drop the German server we use atm.. the spec is very high for the price, but the network seems to be causing issues. So moving back to UK for a higher cost and lower spec...

I am also already in problems by using 64-bit CentOS the mysql libs cause sphere to crash, I could revert to 32 bit CentOS, but then I am wasting 12gb of ram on the server... So considering moving to 64 bit windows and while at it move back to UK - I assume sphere runs fine on x64 windows without any library issues? Plus windows is more secure and stable out of the box, and I don't get tempted to install random shit on it like I do on linux Big Grin

Would be interested to see what people use and how reliable you find sphere is running on said OS.

ULTIMA ONE
The modern, sphere powered Ultima Online server
03-23-2013 12:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

RE: Server OS?
how much you pay in germany ? and in uk ? Shock
03-23-2013 12:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 26

Not that my server is always up or even open, but I have no issues running it on win7 x64

[Image: 2nis46r.jpg]
03-23-2013 12:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Ultima One
Journeyman

Likes Given: 7

Ultima One

Germany is 49euros, UK is around £70. About a £30 (36eur) price difference. Considering that £15-30 of that is the price of Windows Server it's not too much more to be paying for a better network, and a quad core 3.0ghz from a 3.4ghz i7 isn't going to be a problem for Sphere or my general web-server use Tongue

But, the last week or so, been getting a lot of packet loss from Portugal - Server, suspect some guys I banned are ddos'ing us, but still a change to UK would probably be better Sick

ULTIMA ONE
The modern, sphere powered Ultima Online server
03-23-2013 12:33 AM
RanXerox
Master

Likes Given: 1

Mine is a Windows XP Virtual Machine (allocated with 1 CPU + 1Gb RAM) running on a Debian Linux server host.
03-23-2013 06:10 AM
mpgram
Apprentice

Likes Given: 0

(03-23-2013 12:17 AM)charm Wrote:  ... I could revert to 32 bit CentOS, but then I am wasting 12gb of ram on the server...

Any 32bit CentOS box I run has 8GB of RAM with no issue. Try installing the bigmem kernel. Wink
04-18-2013 09:28 AM
Rattlehead
Master

Likes Given: 3

honestly sphere was made for windows, so its always going to run better on windows, ill also add that anything over 6gb of ram for sphere is complete overkill (unless you have 400+ players at any given time, even then not sure much more than 8gb is really needed)

but the DDoS issue, cant be solved by simply changing hosts, i run other game servers which suffer from an abundant amount of DDoS'ers, the only REAL solution is $500USD + for a host that will filter the bad traffic accurately without blocking the good connections.

as a work around however, if u can get multiple IPs from ur host, and set it up so that you have several servers in ur list that all connect to the same machine, the person DDoS'ing you will attack one, maybe 2 IP's, let them get hit and be null routed, his program is most likely an IRC auto run kinda thing, that he pays for by the hour, he will hit one IP and let it ride thinking hes hitting u hard, meanwhile the players will still be able to connect from the others in the servers list, the IP he is hitting will be null routed for up to 3 hours, which means he will be hitting a disabled IP and just wasting his money, after a few times of that he will stop wasting his time and money on you.

fight annoying with more annoying Wink
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 05:37 PM by Rattlehead.)
04-18-2013 05:32 PM