Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Possible Axis change
Ben
Sphere Developer

Likes Given: 2

SphereCommunity

Lightbulb Possible Axis change
I know I have not done any updates to Axis in a long time, but I have been working on something new lately, and I need some input before I keep going.

My idea here is to have Axis connect to sphere directly to get it's information instead of parsing scripts. This would be done using a telnet connection. Once Axis receives the info, it is cached so it's not necessary to load from server every time.

It's all nice, but there is 1 major down side. From the tests that I have done, loading the CHARDEF,SPAWN,ITEMDEF, and TEMPLATE sections only, took about 7min. Axis needs more info than that, but that is the biggest part as there are over 30k itemdefs.
That is a lot of information to transfer over telnet.

[EDIT] I have managed to reduce that same info to 1.5 min

Any thoughts?

AxisII's current version: 2.0.4j
AxisII SourceCode on Github
AxisII up to date changelog
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 11:23 AM by Ben.)
07-20-2015 10:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
XuN
Sphere Developer

Likes Given: 102

RE: Possible Axis change
That's nice to have.

Maybe compressing the data before sending it can help a bit, but I bet you already did before that 'EDIT'.
07-20-2015 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Likes Given: 17

7 minutes is a very long time, but 1,5 minutes is reasonable. However, if server scripts are updated, would the infos be updated globally (so you need another 1,5 minute to rebuild the full cache) or you managed to update only the differences? And what is the time for axis to rebuild the lists from cache upon startup?
You may consider also to let the user choose between the two resources loading modes, the old and the new one.
07-22-2015 03:12 AM
Ben
Sphere Developer

SphereCommunity

I have not looked into updating the diff only yet, but it is something to think about. The cache is an SQLite database, so pulling the info from there on startup will take no time at all.
I was kind of hoping to not have the local scripts loading anymore... because I have to be honest here, it's not just an update to the current Axis. It's a complete rebuild.

Oops... the word is out... yes, a new Axis... Tongue

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 11:29 AM by Ben.)
07-22-2015 07:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Ben's post
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

ShockShockShock
07-22-2015 07:50 AM
XuN
Sphere Developer

Likes Given: 102

LOL, you know how to create hype!
07-22-2015 06:21 PM

I hope the final release will come out soon, it would be diabolic to announce such a huge thing long time before its completition lol

Speaking about new features, it would be lovely to have a resizable window and to be able to show SA npcs without crashing Shifty
07-23-2015 12:22 AM
Ben
Sphere Developer

SphereCommunity

Sorry for the disappointment, but it's not near completion yet. I'm reworking all of it, so it's taking a long time. Smile
About the resizable window, it's somewhat a pain to do with all the different tabs and buttons, so this one is probably not gonna happen.
As for SA npcs... I was never informed of this. I have already reworked the whole art display , but if there are some specific IDs that are causing issues, it would be nice to know.

07-23-2015 01:20 PM

Wrote it here time ago: http://forum.spherecommunity.net/Thread-...xis?page=6 , all infos there. I had to comment all SA npcs in order to avoid Axis crashing.
Returning to topic, what about a slightly bigger window then? Since screen resolutions are increased now, having a bigger item/npc/map list would be less painful i think. That's something trivial though, since on 1920x1080 Axis is still usable Smile
07-23-2015 05:15 PM
Ben
Sphere Developer

SphereCommunity

I'll see what I can do about size... but on a good note, I just managed to reduce the transfer time to 6 sec if I build the db on server side and just transfer the db directly. (yes, still over telnet Smile ) Now you have to remember that this is a local connection, so a remote connection might be slightly longer.
At this speed, I'm not going to bother with diffs.

07-27-2015 04:00 AM