Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Camping - What did you do with it?
Rayvolution
Journeyman

Likes Given: 0

Aetharia

Camping - What did you do with it?
I'm pondering what to do with camping, I've removed quite a few skills from my server already and replaced them (Like Herding, Remove Traps, Spellweaving and Discordance).

But, I'd like to keep camping and expand upon it. So I'm looking for input from other scriptors. What did you or would you do with it?

[Image: 4_Logo.png]
An MMORPG based on the Ultima Online engine.
Completely Custom Map, GUI, AI, Combat, Skills, Crafts, Art, Music and so much more.
http://aetharia.com - Home of Ambition!
09-17-2012 10:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Extreme
Grandmaster Poster

Likes Given: 217

SphereCommunity

RE: Camping - What did you do with it?
I saw in some servers that it can be used to heal nearby players or the campfire owner...
It works like a extra health regeneration.

In other servers, it works only to disconnect more fast on unguarded places...

STEPS BEFORE CREATE A THREAD
- Check the revisions log;
- Use the search button and use the keywords of your problem;
- Check the WIKI;
- Create a thread.
09-17-2012 12:39 PM
Skul
Master

Remove trap is useful if you ever decide to spawn trapped and locked chests in your dungeons (like on EA/OSI). Leaving magic trap and magic unlock for magically locked and magically trapped doors/containers only. Just a suggestion on that 1. Herding is terrible, only sense it would ever make is to 'amp up' the effect of other 'bard-like' skills, other than that it is truely useless. Forensics can be used to identify the killer of a corpse and to 'allow a bounty' for the head of the killer, not sure what other purpose is would serve. TasteID should be used for 'unknown edables', such as rare food types with special effects and magical potions not normally found at a vendor or created in via alchemy. ItemID should be used for magical items found in monster loot to determine what exactly IS magical about it, and to allow the player to equip the item only AFTER ID'ing the item found. Camping is good for what Extreme said, a tile radius to regenerate the health, mana, stamina of any player 'friend' of the creator of the campfire. Discordance is good for provocation, it should help the effect of how long a creature should be provoked. Peacemaking is good to 'calm' any monsters in the area around, like a 'peace' effect to help players make it through crowded monster areas without having to fight. Bards should have a song book, that requires certain musical instruments, the instruments should allow you to play certain songs while other instruments don't. Allowing you to create a 'rare' found instrument for the 'better songs'. The songs should be stored in the Bard Songbook, similar to a spellbook. Necromancy should be scripted and functional, I'm pretty sure a script is already posted here for it. Bushido, Ninjitsu and Chivalry should be fully functional, as listed on uo.stratics.com, all details are there for anyone to look at. I'm not sure about Spellweaving or Focus, I heard that they are 'enchancers' to 'better' other skills, I'm not sure though, stratics.com would have info. Animal Lore should be used with Tracking, Tracking is useful to allow players to find rare spawned rides and certain monsters/creatures in a big radius. Animal Lore should determine whether you 'can' track a creature or not. ArmsLore should determine the quality of your crafted armor/weapon. Begging is very useful for any new player, since sometimes a new player can run out of gold and feel 'hopeless', Begging is good to help them start up again if ever they do lose their way. The amount of begging a player has should determine how much gold a player can 'beg' for and a NPC should be able to determine whether a player is 'worthy' of cash or not, if a player has 'too much' gold then begging should always fail.

Just some ideas, none are really accurate, but at least it gives you an idea of what to do with these 'so called' useless skills Wink

"I ask a question to the answer I already know."

Marchadium :: http://www.marchadium.ca/ :: Join us!
09-17-2012 02:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Rayvolution
Journeyman

Aetharia

(09-17-2012 02:12 PM)Skul Wrote:  Remove trap is useful if you ever decide to spawn trapped and locked chests in your dungeons (like on EA/OSI). Leaving magic trap and magic unlock for magically locked and magically trapped doors/containers only. Just a suggestion on that 1. Herding is terrible, only sense it would ever make is to 'amp up' the effect of other 'bard-like' skills, other than that it is truely useless. Forensics can be used to identify the killer of a corpse and to 'allow a bounty' for the head of the killer, not sure what other purpose is would serve. TasteID should be used for 'unknown edables', such as rare food types with special effects and magical potions not normally found at a vendor or created in via alchemy. ItemID should be used for magical items found in monster loot to determine what exactly IS magical about it, and to allow the player to equip the item only AFTER ID'ing the item found. Camping is good for what Extreme said, a tile radius to regenerate the health, mana, stamina of any player 'friend' of the creator of the campfire. Discordance is good for provocation, it should help the effect of how long a creature should be provoked. Peacemaking is good to 'calm' any monsters in the area around, like a 'peace' effect to help players make it through crowded monster areas without having to fight. Bards should have a song book, that requires certain musical instruments, the instruments should allow you to play certain songs while other instruments don't. Allowing you to create a 'rare' found instrument for the 'better songs'. The songs should be stored in the Bard Songbook, similar to a spellbook. Necromancy should be scripted and functional, I'm pretty sure a script is already posted here for it. Bushido, Ninjitsu and Chivalry should be fully functional, as listed on uo.stratics.com, all details are there for anyone to look at. I'm not sure about Spellweaving or Focus, I heard that they are 'enchancers' to 'better' other skills, I'm not sure though, stratics.com would have info. Animal Lore should be used with Tracking, Tracking is useful to allow players to find rare spawned rides and certain monsters/creatures in a big radius. Animal Lore should determine whether you 'can' track a creature or not. ArmsLore should determine the quality of your crafted armor/weapon. Begging is very useful for any new player, since sometimes a new player can run out of gold and feel 'hopeless', Begging is good to help them start up again if ever they do lose their way. The amount of begging a player has should determine how much gold a player can 'beg' for and a NPC should be able to determine whether a player is 'worthy' of cash or not, if a player has 'too much' gold then begging should always fail.

Just some ideas, none are really accurate, but at least it gives you an idea of what to do with these 'so called' useless skills Wink

Actually a lot of those I plan to use similar to how you described. But, since my server is a full-redo of UO, some of them just don't fit the server's theme. Big Grin

Here was my plans when some of the ones you mentioned:

Camping - I may go with the radius regen idea, if not, we're considering buffing it up and turning it into a "Survival" skill of some kind.
Taste ID - Just as you said, it'll go hand-in-hand with my cooking rewrite. It'll also be used to figure out Potion's effects.
Item ID - Actually, all our magic items come "Identified" so I was going to rewrite it to give information about the item. Like it's resource requirements, value, skillmake, etc. All based on how high the Item ID is.
Arms Lore - Same as ItemID, only for equipment. Additionally it'll tell player's the AR and Dam values.
Necromancy - Just going to run our custom necro spells we're writing down the line, nothing special.
Discordance, Bushido, Ninjitsu, Chivalry, Spellweaving and Focus - All removed and replaced with other skills.

Some of our new skills:

Attunement Skills, they level up alongside magery. But offer effect/damage boosts if you cast a spell that matches that attunement. They also only gain when you cast a spell within that attunement.
- Air Attunement
- Earth Attunement
- Fire Attunement
- Ice Attunement
- Arcane Attunement

- Fortitude - Skillgain chance every time you're hit, adds +1 ModAR every 10.0 skillpoints. Going to expand on it later.

- Foraging - Ability to collect sand, glass, dirt, rocks, leaves, etc. Including a bunch of random "goodies" based on skill and what you're collecting. (old ring in the dirt, birds nest in the leaves, shard of rare glass in the sand, etc)

- Artist - Pure-decorative craft skill for paintings, sculptures, clay items, etc.

- Bartering - Gain every time you buy/sell. Triggers a change in VENDORMARKUP when you buy/sell from a vendor. Higher skill = better prices.

- Axe Fighting - Because Axes aren't Swords, silly UO.

- Staff Fighting - Because staffs aren't Maces, silly UO. Wink

Really, we don't mind removing an entire original skill if we can't find a good use for it. I have a custom skill tree gump and custom gain systems/messages. So I can add/remove as many skills as I want with no regard to the hardcoded limits. Big Grin

Barding is also up in the air, I'm thinking of completely rewriting it and removing peacemaking and provocation as well. Making "Barding" basically work like Magery does by "casting" (playing) bard "Spells" (Songs). Nearly all of them beneficial buffs of some kind or another.

Completely Custom Map, GUI, AI, Combat, Skills, Crafts, Art, Music and so much more.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2012 03:19 PM by Rayvolution.)
09-17-2012 02:58 PM
Gil Amarth
Journeyman

Likes Given: 2

In my server, Herding is very useful.

You can raise livestock: chicken, ducks, pigs, cattle and bees. There is no npc economy, so all the economy is player run and there is some resources that you can get only with Herding.

There is male and female of each species, and the can reproduce it there is enough space for them. To higher skills, higher density of animals you can get.

But there is more, you can train horses with this skills, and I have a system to keep some of the stats of the parents to the new horses born from them. So it cost very generations to get good horses for combat, from crossing your better horses.

Taming skills is for tame wild animals, to keep them around a city you need Herding.
In the middle ages, the stockbreeders where very rich men, so I´d like that idea for my server.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2012 09:30 PM by Gil Amarth.)
09-17-2012 09:29 PM
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

I treat camping as a "general survival" skill, that means :

-gathering food
-improve skinning resources
-gather rare skins/items from animal/beasts/etc corpse
09-18-2012 04:20 AM
Rayvolution
Journeyman

Aetharia

(09-18-2012 04:20 AM)darksun84 Wrote:  I treat camping as a "general survival" skill, that means :

-gathering food
-improve skinning resources
-gather rare skins/items from animal/beasts/etc corpse

Hmm, that was thinking would go into my Foraging skill, but after talking to my staff we're considering a survivalist skill that is basically Foraging + Camping.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you script the rare skins/hides? Are the items actually part of the RESOURCES= or did you custom write something for it?

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2012 06:16 AM by Rayvolution.)
09-18-2012 06:16 AM
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

custom :\
09-18-2012 08:52 AM
Rayvolution
Journeyman

Aetharia

Thats what I thought.

I have an idea how I could get mine to work. I'll play with it later when I get to that skill. I still have about 50 billion other things to do first.. Wink

09-18-2012 09:50 AM
JeBu
Journeyman

We could actually make this topic again where each skill is listed and everybody can write if they have some own ideas for skills. Someone might have even amazing ideas for basic skills.

Few of my ideas:

Camping:
For thieves, if thieves can't use normal banks they need to hide items in tents or under ground till stole tag is gone from items.

Resource gathering. My idea is that crafters can't use magic and rare resources are located in different locations (maybe far away from towns) they need to save resources to tent chests before have gathered enought resources and the bring them to town with horse or lama.

Herding:
Farmers can keep sheeps and other animals locked in fencing but they they need to eat grass time to time so famer need to bring herd around for food and then bring them back. Possibly wolf might attack during that period and famer need to defend sheeps or herd sheeps back to safe.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 04:29 AM by JeBu.)
09-19-2012 03:59 AM