Poll: Sphere as Open Source or Not
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Any progress about open source?
Robert
Apprentice

Likes Given: 1

RE: Any progress about open source?
I don't see any disadvangates of going open source, at least development will continue as it was. I think you will get more people than you think if you go opensource. As an example i was running a sphere shard in 2007 with 450+ online players with 60.000 active accounts and i'm a computer engineer, even i have a fear of new huge codebase thats why i didn't apply for dev team. If you give us chance to play with it without making promises, there will be no fear of failing.
Another example UltimaXNA, 6-7 months ago i was googling some opensource uo clients, i found ultimaxna project left unattended since 2012, i couldn't compile it, i asked some questions to Zane wagner who owns the project. Even asking questions started fire again and it got way more bigger, you can check progress from https://github.com/ZaneDubya/UltimaXNA/.

Sphere has many crazy lovers, i believe they will always keep it burning.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 10:41 PM by Robert.)
08-03-2015 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Ben
Sphere Developer

Likes Given: 2

SphereCommunity

I just added a poll to this thread, please vote on if you wish to see it open source or not.
I will not vote to remain neutral here.

AxisII's current version: 2.0.4j
AxisII SourceCode on Github
AxisII up to date changelog
08-03-2015 10:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
xantier
Journeyman

Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the poll,

Guys I beg you, please explain your votes so we can have a healthy discussion.
08-03-2015 11:03 PM
Criminal
Journeyman

Likes Given: 38

SantiagoUO.com

OpenSource = 10 new communities and uo emulators..

[Image: mfqAZnj.png]
Discord: SantiagoUO
08-03-2015 11:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
xantier
Journeyman

Likes Given: 4

(08-03-2015 11:23 PM)Criminal Wrote:  OpenSource = 10 new communities and uo emulators..

http://www.runuo.com/community
https://code.google.com/p/runuo/download...r&can=2&q=
https://code.google.com/p/runuo/

and even after runuo stopped development, people continue from:
https://github.com/runuo/runuo
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 11:26 PM by xantier.)
08-03-2015 11:25 PM
Paulo_BR
Apprentice

Likes Given: 14

Ultima Online Brasil

Man, you will see that this will further improve the sphereserver , we just want it to evolve, nothing more. You can be sure that it being open source , nothing will change about the community , instead, with the changes made by admins will only increase the amount of players . Hug !
08-03-2015 11:40 PM
escribano
Journeyman

Likes Given: 16

Dragon Shard

Guys im not irritated, im not angy, im not nothing.

Im just frustaded, ben and all other crew members have made an awesome job for all this Yeats, but we need to keep moving, we need new members, new ideas... Thats why i think sphere should be opensource.

Sorry if i pissed anyone, buy my frustration have more then 5 years of trying to do different stuffs for sphere.

UltimaPHP - OpenSource Ultima Online Server v0.1-pre-alpha under development, we need help!
08-03-2015 11:56 PM
kilopi_3142
Apprentice

Ben,

Thanks for the poll.

My opinion: Sphere should be open source and ALL WE SHOULD TO PAY TO THE SPHERE DEVS in some way.

- "Money", "advertisement on sites" or smthng else I dont know.
08-04-2015 12:21 AM
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

I voted no, but I would have voted yes if the Staff decided to create a new Sphere from scratch.

Why i voted no ?

I can't see in any of you a genuine interest in helping Sphere, i just see a bunch of pirates wanting a piece of the treasure Tongue

That's the main point, keeping the current staff is more important than releasing the source code.

They are doing (and did) their job fine, they don't need help, and if they need it they can simply ask it.

Also you really want to help Sphere there a lot of Spherewiki pages to edit.
08-04-2015 01:06 AM
escribano
Journeyman

Dragon Shard

Darksum84, in part it's true and i agree with you!

I don't think Sphere could be rescripted from scratch and keep being the same project, from the moment the base core was changed... it wasn't sphere anymore (at least for me, an i can be so wrong).

I think there are many more important things needed to be done on sphere... some bugs, some technologies that would be nice if sphere could work with, like: json, ODBC drivers, Clusterization for Elastic Cloud (I'm setting my shard on AWS and i can't clusterize my server... we are in 2015, cloud server is there for more then 5 years), etc...

For me, sphere should be registred on some open source licence demanding shards to post the right credits for sphere and open an section to receive donations... like the Wikipedia, NodeJS and many other success OpenSource Projects.

This way sphere could get strength to grow again, this community is falling apart while Ultima Online dies. I dont want to see this happening.

Dudes.. I do all this cuz i've already tried Sphere, RunUO, POL, Wolfpack, PlayUO and some badly open source servers founded on Git.

Sphere is the best, the easy to do customization, the easy to make your shard different! we just need more people working on it, to make new features, to solve bugs faster, to create new things to get advantage from other shards... this is for all us!

This is a trully community, and if sphere gets opensourced... i would make my best to improve and do crazy cool stuff for everybody!

Thanks!

UltimaPHP - OpenSource Ultima Online Server v0.1-pre-alpha under development, we need help!
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 04:07 AM by escribano.)
08-04-2015 03:25 AM
[+] 1 user Likes escribano's post