Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
About sphere script pack
Coruja
Sphere Developer

Likes Given: 5

Dimension Shard

About sphere script pack
I heard ppl talking about the "default" sphere script pack (not the "custom" SCP) on another topic and I agree, this script pack is too poor. It comes without nothing, many NPCs with wrong status values, many wrong loots, wrong defs, etc. Then, instead fix everything and add some default "minimum" OSI systems to make it usable to create a live server, ppl totally forgot the default script pack (leaving many scripts outdated by years) to create a new SCP pack which already comes with many scripts duplicated from default sphere script pack, now everything is messed up

So I think we must get more focus on default script pack, adding everything it needs to startup a server with basic scripts. Then, the SCP will be descontinued to get back to a system where ppl send scripts individually (like scriptsharing, etc)

And I found a perfect solution for this: GitHub
Its a tool to open source projects and I think it will take the script pack to a whole new level. Heres a great project example: https://github.com/CyanogenMod
On GitHub, sphere devs will be the project maintainer, then ppl can create the script themselves and commit it as a "pull/merge request". If devs approve it, the script got merged on the project. Or if the script is a crap, just disapprove the request. Its easy and fast to use. With this, instead leave -everything- to sphere developers, we could help the developers too.

On github we doesn't even need automated nightly builds to script pack anymore. Just open the project on github and press the "download as zip" button to download the latest script pack on the fly at any moment. But of course, we can continue using the automated build too, since github is GIT compatible, the "nightly builder server" just need to use a git console command to get the latest version directly from github and make it avaible to download on our "nightly downloads" page

Another great feature on github is the merge screen and history log. We can compare exactly what lines got changed on every file from any commit

I think github will be a great solution to use on sphere. Leave comments saying what you guys think Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 02:44 PM by Coruja.)
09-10-2013 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Extreme
Grandmaster Poster

Likes Given: 217

SphereCommunity

RE: About sphere script pack
This idea is very good, since not everyone could send merge requests.
I think the devs should approve some guys to help on that project, I could help in some time and I think you will be a great addition to sphere script pack.

Have you though to create your own github and use on DMS with your staff?
If sphere devs don't want to do it, you can do it yourself I think.

STEPS BEFORE CREATE A THREAD
- Check the revisions log;
- Use the search button and use the keywords of your problem;
- Check the WIKI;
- Create a thread.
09-10-2013 02:53 PM
Coruja
Sphere Developer

Likes Given: 5

Dimension Shard

on my server I'm using another CVS, github is free only to public projects (open source)

I created a new repository just to make some example tests (will delete it later), just click on "history" to see the changelog
https://github.com/coruja747/SphereServer
09-10-2013 05:22 PM
amonvangrell
Banned

Likes Given: 17

britannia shard

I LIKE THIS IDEA, OMG THIS BROKEN CAPS IS KILLING ME. SRY GUYS
09-10-2013 06:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
babazar
Journeyman

Likes Given: 2

SCP is a great Idea, But can we not just have the files aswell seperate, so people can have a custom server aswell? Just an idea Big Grin
09-11-2013 02:18 AM
Extreme
Grandmaster Poster

Likes Given: 217

SphereCommunity

Re: RE: About sphere script pack
(09-11-2013 02:18 AM)babazar Wrote:  SCP is a great Idea, But can we not just have the files aswell seperate, so people can have a custom server aswell? Just an idea Big Grin

its not to make a SCP... is to be a default script pack..

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

STEPS BEFORE CREATE A THREAD
- Check the revisions log;
- Use the search button and use the keywords of your problem;
- Check the WIKI;
- Create a thread.
09-11-2013 02:33 AM
babazar
Journeyman

Likes Given: 2