Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
looking for maps and other questions
Rayvolution
Journeyman

Likes Given: 0

Aetharia

RE: looking for maps and other questions
There's a program called MUL2BMP out there, but I understand it's not very good at giving you "usable" maps. They re-render wrong.

As far as converting the bitmaps, it all depends on what terrain generator you use. Each one is different.

Generally though you just load your BMP file into the generator and let it work it's magic.

[Image: 4_Logo.png]
An MMORPG based on the Ultima Online engine.
Completely Custom Map, GUI, AI, Combat, Skills, Crafts, Art, Music and so much more.
http://aetharia.com - Home of Ambition!
08-03-2012 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gurud7i
Apprentice

Thank you all for the responses. My general plan is to use the trammel and felucca maps. From there, then the new map comes into play.

Please pardon my ignorance on this about making maps. It seems from a terrain and altitude level it is nice to see the detail from the top down, the avatar cant 'look up'? The details of making the caves, dungeons, etc are essential and good blending from deep to shallow and land for boats and the like.

What are the benefits of having a map that rivals an OSI map? just asking so that I understand why its important. I did get centred to work and that was cool of how it works at a granular level. I get that.

Just looking for clarification on all the work from a photoshop perspective.
08-03-2012 09:41 PM
Rayvolution
Journeyman

Aetharia

(08-03-2012 09:41 PM)gurud7i Wrote:  Thank you all for the responses. My general plan is to use the trammel and felucca maps. From there, then the new map comes into play.

Please pardon my ignorance on this about making maps. It seems from a terrain and altitude level it is nice to see the detail from the top down, the avatar cant 'look up'? The details of making the caves, dungeons, etc are essential and good blending from deep to shallow and land for boats and the like.

What are the benefits of having a map that rivals an OSI map? just asking so that I understand why its important. I did get centred to work and that was cool of how it works at a granular level. I get that.

Just looking for clarification on all the work from a photoshop perspective.

Well, I guess you don't need a map that rivals an OSI map, but if your map isn't as good as the original map a lot of people may see it has lazily slapped together. You *never* want that, your player base will never grow if they thing you don't "got the skills".

If you make a map that's as good, or beats OSI (my goal) your players will be amazed at the level of detail you've created and stick around, knowing you take your server seriously. Smile

"If you build it, they will come!" (..and stay!)

As far as the photoshop work, that really depends on the generator you're using. With MapGenerator2 you need to make 2 maps, the terrain map and the altitude map independent of each other. Just load up the swatches and make sure you only use those colors.

Here's a quick tutorial for MapGenerator2:
http://www.ryandor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3011

and a pretty awesome one for general map making, based on using Dragon.. but the concept applies to most generators anyway.
http://www.ryandor.com/files/makingmaps.11.pdf

[Image: 4_Logo.png]
An MMORPG based on the Ultima Online engine.
Completely Custom Map, GUI, AI, Combat, Skills, Crafts, Art, Music and so much more.
http://aetharia.com - Home of Ambition!
08-03-2012 11:02 PM