Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NPC AI Sphere vs RunUO
WRWR
Journeyman

Likes Given: 30

NPC AI Sphere vs RunUO
NPC AI Sphere vs RunUO by default
Why sphere NPC monsters so stupid? Exactly if we compare it wih same NPC monsters from RunUO? Maybe Sphere Devs can just steal part of code to Sphere Wink
We are must be stronger! Just do it!
07-28-2012 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Shaklaban
Master

Likes Given: 0

DOT

RE: NPC AI Sphere vs RunUO
also their reactions are little slow.
07-28-2012 09:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

But even with all the NPC_AI flags enabled ?

Does they work ?
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2012 01:00 AM by darksun84.)
07-29-2012 12:59 AM
WRWR
Journeyman

Likes Given: 30

Yeah, this flags its just a flags...
07-29-2012 02:09 AM
ShiryuX
Journeyman

Likes Given: 1

I'd like to ear more, for example, how should NPC's behave? Smile
07-31-2012 01:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Anarch Cassius
Master

Likes Given: 19

Well I'm really liking groups. One of my favorite moments from the time I played WoW was having defeated a bunch of Orcs in a dungeon room and while we were still healing a warparty of NPC Orcs charged in for revenge. They wiped us but it felt more interesting than frustrating since I'd not seen NPCs move in to attack as a group rather than spawning one by one and getting picked offed.

The basic structure I'm using (and stole most of from a previous system) is that NPCs get a rank and faction. On sight they can recruit lower ranking NPCs. Once in a group the leader's home distance multiplies and the members of the groups update their home to a short range from the leader periodically.

When combat occurs the leader's memory gets updated with the enemy involved. It periodically orders the group to attack the target. As more enemies get involved in the fight they get checked against the current target and if deemed more dangerous they replace it.

The leader also tracks calls for help from wounded members. Not much good unless you have a mage right now since I don't have NPCs bandaging others working yet. However if you do the leader will likewise store the most hurt group member and periodically direct the mages to heal and buff him.

The leader has a leader memory that stores this target information for the group. The group members have a memory with their leader. The leader doesn't track his followers individually but can easily spot them on a FORCHAR check by looking at the memory item.

If the leader dies the group disbands. The memories have a fail safe to destroy themselves if they loose the leader. In this case a high ranking member of the group may recruit the others in to a new group and/or they head back to their original home points. They won't just run back in the middle of a fight but you'll disrupt coordination and those who kill their current targets may wander off.

I use a much simpler effect for things like mongbats, rats and headlesses which fight as a pack but hardly have the coordination of groups or factions. So to save processing the simply cry out with a FORCHAR and any nearby creature who has their kind in its desires and isn't a pet or currently fighting will come help. If the creatures are the same kind they will have their own attack trigger set off and call out as well, increasing the possible range. On the other hand I also use this on for example the Dread Spider. All spiders, even non-aggressive ones, have this creature in their desires and it has the event. In the presence of the Dread Spider they will fight whatever it fights.

Current Projects: Necromancy SCP overhaul. Custom Faction AI/System. Imbuing.
07-31-2012 06:37 PM
Barnabus
Journeyman

This is interesting, although besides what Anarch Cassius said, there isnt much else that can be done.
I mean how smart should NPCAI be ? For a mage its more intersting because the NPC can see what the player is casting, so he can be programmed to maybe cast a faster spell, and fizzle the player, or para the player and run away, but for a normal NPC who is melee based, what can you do ?

Im an NPC On See new player.
Check my Skill base.
Am I a thief or a mage or a warrior?
Is the PC worth attacking, or stealing from?
If there is a chance I can win, attack him.
If there is a chance I can loose, dont attack untill attacked.
Im I dying should I heal or runaway ?

What exactly do NPCS have in runuo that we cant make for them here?
I would imagine we can achieve exactly the same.
10-02-2012 12:22 AM
JeBu
Journeyman

SO is Sphere pathfinding fixed in new versions? Like it was said I'v always seen monsters get stuck in SPhere. Bu in RunUO they find you must faster and they also somehow keep behind you even if you are riding. Are they probably teleporting? Tho pathfinding I can see finds you trught complicate buildings and doors. sadly I havent seen this in Sphere even AI features were enabled.
10-02-2012 02:43 AM
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 26

I don't think that AI is limited in sphere the only limit is your Imagination....

And your scripting ability of course.

[Image: 2nis46r.jpg]
10-02-2012 03:27 AM
gokku
Apprentice

actually i have to say this; (sphere has tremendous mechanisim for everything.) if you can code AI for sphere it will be really work on NPC's. just i can say "firstly try, then write here"
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 05:45 AM by gokku.)
10-02-2012 05:44 AM