Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ideal shard by SphereCommunity.
AngryLocomotive
Apprentice

Likes Given: 0

RE: Ideal shard by SphereCommunity.
So your saying some skills should add additional damage to combat skills? Like smithing to macefighting, lumberjacking to sword, etc ? Amazing idea, love it and will add to list. I don't think it should add a lot of useful stuff like damage, etc but some sort of use should be given.

Added.

EDIT:

It would be really cool to hear your skill synergy ideas.

I am just a Player.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 07:21 PM by AngryLocomotive.)
07-06-2012 06:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Anarch Cassius
Master

Likes Given: 19

Additional combat damage is one way to good but I agree it shouldn't be what most synergies are about. Arms Lore for example IIRC reduces the cost of combat moves AND increases the stats of crafted arms and armor. This is particularly nice synergy since it encourages a warrior to make equipment rather then simply get a mule for the job.

Anatomy increases damage in combat AND increases the effect of healing, another nice skill that helps two different things and encourages them to be used together.

Another good example of buffing previously useless skills is the treasure maps for Cartography and lost items for Forensics.

In the way of new stuff this is what I have planned for my shard:

Item ID: Magic items do not typically come identified and this allows their properties to be discovered so they can be used. It's also going to get the Imbuing synergies.

Taste ID: Potions likewise just come in 8 colors when found as loot (not crafted or bought) and this lets you what type and strength you have. You can make an educated guess, a mana potion is always orange but not every orange potion is mana. Taste ID also works like Arms Lore in crafting; potions and food are produced at higher strength if your skill is high.

Cooking: Food items provide an immediate boost to hits, mana, and/or stam and short period of increased regeneration. They also provide food level which avoids starvation and increase baseline health regen. Because you can only eat until full food has its own limitations as a regeneration source like bandages and potions do.

Forensics: I'm going with the lost items I think awhile back we came up with forensic archaelogy. It's a hybrid of grave digging and a couple different EA event systems. You can get an archaeologist's brush, maybe a shovel too for some sites and go to areas where ruins spawn. You brush and/or dig hoping to avoid or thwart any monsters, traps or curses you disturb. If you get past that and make your Forensics check you get some ruin loot. Minor artifacts, imbuing reags, decorations, etc.

Begging: Better loot from NPCs, though nothing fancy. You can beg from players too and they'll randomly hand over some food or coin, in return they'll gain in Compassion and karma. Players can turn this off if they aren't interested in the virtue gain. There's a timer on switching giving on/off, this is all to prevent abuse where some spam begs and return stuff to farm virtue. Probably tie this in to some quests and such as well.

Camping: Better fires can be constructed the provide regen to those in the area who aren't in combat. Best for use with parties and in places where you can chop the wood on site rather than having to lug it around.

I think that's most of the ones that are currently without a good use. Any more?
07-07-2012 06:02 AM
AngryLocomotive
Apprentice

Great ideas.

I had seen a skill - Architecture. The idea is that person who has it with certain resources can build houses and sell them cheaper than Architects in town. One of my friends called that skill - Mansory i think.

I am just a Player.
07-11-2012 03:22 AM
Soulless
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 29

Ye Olde Sphere

lol, i found this post, cause i was looking to see if anyone had a grave digging script i could read over to get ideas. well i didnt find one, but i like the idea of using forensics. i have it using forensics and mining to check for success. but i had to chuckle outloud at my failure message, and i hope you guys enjoy one too.

"you dig in the grave for a while and only find self shame"

Smile

right now all they dig up is random bones and body parts and they might awaken a slumbering undead (which is all you'd expect, but players dont want what theyd expect)
what kind of items should they get that are good? i guess i was thinking like "ancient weapons/armor" that is raised modar and it doesnt ever break (being ancient and all). or treasure maps (but then i'd have to do the treasure map script haha. i guess im going to anyways. ) random gems? rare undead npc? maybe open up a underground tunnel into a small catacombs with loot and a evil undead guy to fight?
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 07:59 PM by Soulless.)
02-18-2013 05:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 26

That's funny.

My thoughts: Old jewelry would be a good one, along with weapons, bones, body parts, some reagents, gold, gems. You'd need some risks in there too, so digging up undead e.t.c.. would be good, but how about having them contract some disease that drops their stats for a while? Cant be healthy digging around where dead bodies are.

[Image: 2nis46r.jpg]
02-19-2013 02:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
darksun84
Sir Spamalot

Likes Given: 246

I really like the idea of a restricted sosaria map Shock
02-19-2013 02:52 AM
Soulless
Super Moderator

Ye Olde Sphere

@Mordaunt, i like that diseases idea. right now it summons a zombie usually, skeleton some, skeleton knight once in a while, and a liche rarely. so its not too annoying, but it could get hairy if you go afk haha. I think i'll make old Jewelry the staple of the system. You can find skill jewelry in my shard, but it only does up to + 15, and you gotta be lucky to get that. i think i'll make grave digging add some ancient jewelry into the mix.

@darksun, i forget who made it but there is this random_rooms script i downloaded like a ways back. it just generates a quick room. infact i think it was called quick rooms, anyways, im going to do something like that, it will create your own little catacomb in the blackness of the already existing sosaria.
i don't like having new expansion maps running either, the initial world is big enough. and t2a expansion makes it even bigger.
02-19-2013 03:46 AM
Mordaunt
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 26

Got me thinking about grave digging now... be easy to add the event into my mining stuff... hmmmmm

[Image: 2nis46r.jpg]
02-19-2013 04:13 AM
Soulless
Super Moderator

Ye Olde Sphere

I won't lie, it was a LOT of fun to make. i really enjoyed this one.

and i enjoyed making the "where" command show a map with x - y - z, region name, and actually a dot where you're at. incase your a super noob on my server lol
02-19-2013 04:52 AM
BladeCraft
Apprentice

Definitely some great ideas in this thread but I think some of them are probably more fun to script than for players to play. For example, the grave digging to get regs, gold, etc is a fun concept but unless it is worth using skill points (assuming a cap), players would probably rather go mine or hunt and get those skills up.

I could be wrong but I spent many a days on a detailed fishing system back in the day to compete with mining and lumberjacking and it never really fully caught on. I even had some really cool unique fish that would grant the person eating it with special abilities for a period of time thinking that hunters and crafters would buy fish to help them do better at their own trade.
02-19-2013 10:34 AM